Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLD THUNDERBIRDS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OVERDRIVEN66, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Any old Thunderbird fans? Seems like a lot of the topics and interests here (and that's fine) are all the active pickup modern high tech basses. What about the 'old gnarly one?' I played old Birds for over 30 years and still like 'em. Have any of you younger 'high tech young guys' ever tasted the great tones and playability of an old '63-'69 reverse or non-reverse Gibson Thunderbird?

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I loved the old Thunderbirds... Thunderbird 2 was my favorite.
    [​IMG]

3. What the hell is that?

I've never played any of the 60's Gibby T Bird's. but I own a '91, Which is passive and I love everything about it (except maybe the little bit of neck dive it has and the fact that its black, I want a classic white one).

4. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All these sound pretty good to me... :D

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played several vintage T-birds before buying my '91 (new), and to my hands/ears, the 90's era T-birds are pretty darn good. I actually preferred it to the '76 reissue I played (the feel was slightly different, and the tone sounded a tad tighter, but that could have very well been a difference in strings). I'd love a 60's era non-reverse bird, though.

Tom.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Ohhhh yeeaaaahhh. ;)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I liked this one best :

[​IMG]

When I was a kid I actually had a working model that would go underwater!! ;)

Great stuff!!

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Thunderbird II = single pickup, two-point bridge, tailpiece. Mine had a HORRIBLE poly refinish job, had been scorched in a case fire, and a fairly good repair job on a headstock break before I traded a jazz bass for it. I refinished it, put a badass on it and we rocked for years. The one bass that I shouldn't have let go!

9. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I love my Epi T-Bird, hope to own a real one some day.
    After fooling around with a P-bass for a couple years I bought the ThunderBird and it was then that I really started to study the bass. I learned the notes, and scales and didnt just pluck a few notes everyonce and a while like I would on my boring old P-bass.
    If anyones interested in trading or buying it, its been customed with Seymour Duncans and a Bad-ass bridge and flatwound strings. I'll throw in a case too.

10. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I really want a White thunder bird. man if only money was no object.

11. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've always though t-birds were interesting. I'd like to try one though, I was going to get a epiphone thunderbird but didn't due to everyone complaing about the neck dives and what not.

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've had a white '02 TBird for a couple of years - a real rock and roll machine! A couple of months ago I picked up a '78 and I'm enjoying it very much though the '02 is more flexible tonally. They both play great and I like the contrast in sound. Beautifully made basses.

13. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    :D Old Thunderbirds rule. :D

Attached Files:

14. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    who is NOT a fan of old thunderbirds...
    here's my old bird.. before i sold it.. kinda miss it a lot.
    But i was too afraid of a headstockbreak so i decided to sell..

[​IMG]

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Anyone remember how much the old T Birds were when they first came out?.

16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    You can get an 'alpine white' Epi T-bird for 399 US, new. Pretty cheap, but if you're broke, you're broke...believe me, I know. :p

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not sure about the 60s models, but I remember 76 bicentennial reissues were selling for about $500 street brand new which was about the same as a new P-bass at the time (i.e. back when Gibson still had reasonable prices). At the time I had zero $$$$ and was lusting after one bad.