old Trace amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ron_a218, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    A local music store just got in an old (70's) trace elliot bass amp on consignment. It supposed to be a tube amp but I really had trouble trying to read the model number but it looked like ..250 so I figured it was a 250 watt. It is one ugly old amp! At first glance I wasn't sure I was looking at the front or the back. The front has a black light that lays all across the bottom and illuminates the front panel when on. How retro is that! It plays but all he had to play it through was a 410 guitar cab and I really couldn't tell much about tone. My questions is, is this thing worth anything or is it just a good boat anchor. They're asking 300. What would it cost to retube it if it really is a tube amp? Thanks for the input, Ron A
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Sounds like an AH250 head in which case it wouldn't be all tube. I'd really need some pics to get a better idea. I dunno which series it would be from, maybe old enough to be a series four or five (shrugs).
  3. ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    Thanks AJ, that helped and from the searches I did, it appears to be solid state and probably made in early eighties. Thanks again for your help.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Ditto! One thing though, I have never seen an AH250 with the UV (blacklight) factory. :meh:
  5. I'm not 100% certain, but from the information that I have handy the blacklight seems to date the amp in question at '86 or later.
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Did it look like the one below? If so, I have one and it's a great amp. Quite powerful and nice Trace tone. And it's not ugly at all!! :p
  7. ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    No! it didn't look near that nice but does appear to be the same model or similar. This one must of had a really rough life, I thought it was just old. You could barely make out the "Trace Elliot" it was so faded. This one was a real relic, but like I said it was still going so they must be tough heads. I was told by the store owner it was a tube head but it seems to be SS. It came in with an old ampeg head which sold very quickly, wish I'd have got a chance at it. Thanks again guys.
  8. dregen77

Oct 19, 2005
    Barcelona, Spain
    i also have an ah250 with the blacklight. great sound!! i'd say try it a little more and go for it! you'll surely like it! :)