Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old Trace amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ron_a218, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    A local music store just got in an old (70's) trace elliot bass amp on consignment. It supposed to be a tube amp but I really had trouble trying to read the model number but it looked like ..250 so I figured it was a 250 watt. It is one ugly old amp! At first glance I wasn't sure I was looking at the front or the back. The front has a black light that lays all across the bottom and illuminates the front panel when on. How retro is that! It plays but all he had to play it through was a 410 guitar cab and I really couldn't tell much about tone. My questions is, is this thing worth anything or is it just a good boat anchor. They're asking 300. What would it cost to retube it if it really is a tube amp? Thanks for the input, Ron A

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Sounds like an AH250 head in which case it wouldn't be all tube. I'd really need some pics to get a better idea. I dunno which series it would be from, maybe old enough to be a series four or five (shrugs).

3. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    Thanks AJ, that helped and from the searches I did, it appears to be solid state and probably made in early eighties. Thanks again for your help.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Ditto! One thing though, I have never seen an AH250 with the UV (blacklight) factory. :meh:

5. I'm not 100% certain, but from the information that I have handy the blacklight seems to date the amp in question at '86 or later.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Did it look like the one below? If so, I have one and it's a great amp. Quite powerful and nice Trace tone. And it's not ugly at all!! :p

7. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    No! it didn't look near that nice but does appear to be the same model or similar. This one must of had a really rough life, I thought it was just old. You could barely make out the "Trace Elliot" it was so faded. This one was a real relic, but like I said it was still going so they must be tough heads. I was told by the store owner it was a tube head but it seems to be SS. It came in with an old ampeg head which sold very quickly, wish I'd have got a chance at it. Thanks again guys.

8. dregen77

dregen77

Oct 19, 2005
    Barcelona, Spain
    i also have an ah250 with the blacklight. great sound!! i'd say try it a little more and go for it! you'll surely like it! :)