1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Type Fender 9050's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Working Bass, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    I've done a search and not come up with much. I'm trying to find (without spending too much!) what the closest currently available flat wound is to the old 9050's (either M or ML). Im talking about the version that went out a few years back with the green silks at the ball end and non on the tuner end. I'm on my last set and so far have tried LaBella Deep Talking, current Fenders, Roto 77's but haven't come close in feel or tone - please help!!

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You are talking about the Fender strings produced by Fender in Ensenada, Mexico that ended in 2010. Search for them and buy as many sets as you can find. Each set should last 10+ years of daily play.

The closest modern stringset to the original V.C. Squier made Fender Flats would be GHS Precision Flats which is what I play and recommend.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. Working Bass

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Thats the ones! I cant actually find any anywhere and suspect they go quickly when they surface. Thanks for the heads up on the GHS Precision Flats, I'll give some a blast

Linnin likes this.
  4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Do you have a 2x2 headstock?
    I have a used set.

5. Working Bass

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Thanks mate, but I play precisions

shawshank72 likes this.
  6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Me too, that's why their just sitting around haha.

deepbluesuk likes this.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    All the above. The "original" V.C.Squier made O.E.M. flats are strings of legend, appearing on at least one cut of almost every classic rock album. You can tell them apart, especially on a vintage P-bass, because they have that je ne sais quoi of just the right balance of sustain, bloom, and woody quality that slots so well in the mix.