1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old & unreliable equipment story.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Rooney, May 9, 2006.

1. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    Sooo, I was playing a benefit on Sat. I was using my Kustom PA head as power and and using a hartke 2x10 and a 2x15 cab. Before the gig I tuned my bass and played through the amp to make sure everything was good. Then, when it came time to soundcheck, I had lost a bunch of power. I only had about half the sound that I had had earlier. ***!..I thought to myself...........well, probably not to myself.:) Anyway, I turned the bass up on the amp and generally had everything cranked just to get something loud enough to hear myself over the typically way too loud guitar player. I disgustedly struggled to hear myself for the whole first set and halfway through the second set.

Then it happened................................

All the sudden, I had my power back. The stage was shaking and, since I was mic'd through the PA, people were running up to the stage telling me to turn down. I was already in the process though as I could feel every pluck in my toes.:smug:

I might have scared half of the VFW out the door! :eek:

Getting my new amp today though. BA500 should put the "typically too loud guitar player" in his place. I'm gonna aim it right at his head and position my finger on my B string in a threatening manner.. Should sound good with my hartke 2x10 as the extra cab. Might get a single 15" cab though.

Anyway.......:hyper: :hyper: :bassist:

2. db4usa

db4usa

Mar 5, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Something similar happened to me, although it was self-inflicted. I was doing a gig through my SVT3 and changed basses between songs. What I failed to do was hit the db pad, as I was previously playing w/o powered pup's. You guessed it, I blew the house away with my L2500. The venue owner met me at the stage when we went on break and laughing says, " you stopped 2 pacemakers in the 3rd row." He was cool about it and we all had a good laugh.
    db

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I was having input jack issues with my amp once and that happened. I was outside, and thought that was why my volume was so much quieter... I cranked that sucker so loud to get performance volume.

...And then someone jiggled the cord... OUCH... It didn't help that it was up loud enough to distort the speaker, rattle the faceplate AND the cab, and rattle the stage itself...