Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old version of bass balls. Wow!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dustamaphone, Mar 10, 2002.

1. dustamaphone

dustamaphone

Feb 24, 2002
    USA, MN
    Some years ago shortly after I started playing I ran across a Bass Balls unit and this puppy was old. I don't remember if it was made by the same company that makes em' now but this thing put the new one to shame. It was soooo cool I mounted it right to my bass! That wasn't to practical so I took it off and it was stolen at a party on night. So when I saw they were on the market again I bought one and returned the next day. Where did the magic go? Have any of you old timers played the older models. Where can you get em nowadays?

2. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I still have the original one which I bought brand new. Funny, I don't feel like an old timer when I'm onstage playing Death Metal.

3. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    One very usefull bit of knowledge I've only just discovered is that some pedals, including EH pedals, have a "trim pot" inside. If you open it up look for the little pots recessed in the circuit board, these adjust the sound. I've just opened up my Q tron and adjusted it so that I can engage the "boost" mode so that it actually cuts the volume to a level that's comparable to the unmodified guitar lever, AT the level of gain I want to produce a phat wah. Very usefull. Now the bassballs has 2 of these, one for the normal and one for the distorted sound. I have a black sovtek re-issue with blue writing. I've never heard an original so I can't compare but I've just tweaked mine to what I think is a much better sound. The distortion really growls now! We'll see properly at band practise tonight when I can get to my ampeg (instead of the 15w park I have here!).

VERY worth checking out! Just remember what the original settings were!

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use the Sovtek model bassballs. I've got to check out those pots, sounds interesting.

5. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Yeah, Have a play with em. You need to experiment with tone and dynamics to see the range of effects from your adjustments.

(the inference in my earlier post was that adjustment may help a re-issue sound more like an original, if indeed those are the superior models. Just incase it wasn't clear when I wrote it!)

Just so there's no confusion, you're looking for small reccessed pots that you adjust with a weeny screwdriver (flat-head in the case of the sovtek bassballs I have).

Have fun!

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm happy with the envelope effect, and chance you could ID the distortion pot?

7. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    If it's the same as mine then it's the one on the same side as the disto switch. NOT the same side when you turn it over, but the same ACTUAL side, if you see what I mean. i.e. the right one!

Having played with mine through my rig proper like, I found that my adjustments fattened up the dist on the lower notes but lost them on the higher notes. I quite like this, but like I say, you'll have to experiment.

I love the sovtek stuff. It looks like it was taken out of a tank! None of this shiny crap!

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, thanks. The do look like old Soviet military parts! :D

9. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Did you try it?