old vs. new Acoustic Image

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Hi. I'm interested in getting an Acoustic Image amp, (for both electric and upright), but I've heard from a few different places that they have gotten worse since they've started changing the product designs. Does the new Acoustic Image stuff sound different than the previous generation models? I'm mostly concerned with the Clarus head. Thanks.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    There was a slight increase in headroom in the last group of original Clarus amps built, which carried over to the Series II. Other than some minor changes in features that would allow further control, the original Clarus and Series II Clarus models sound the same IMHO. They are physically larger but I don't think it's a deal-breaker.
  3. Thanks. Anyone else feel free to respond, even if you agree.
  4. I had an early Clarus 1, and recently upgraded to a Clarus 2 as I needed a mic channel. I'm very happy with the sound of the new one - I was using it into an EA CXL-110 at a rehearsal today. The Clarus was set absolutely flat, and I was using the Fishman Full-Circle into the high-Z input on the Clarus. We were playing around with positioning the band, and just to see what it sounded like, I put a longish lead on the input of the amp, and played from about 20-feet into where the audience would have been - so, picture a triangle of sides around 20-feet; piano on one corner, drums on the next corner with bass cab and guitar cab between piano and drums; bass on third corner, with trumpet and guitar wandering around. The sound was really excellent, and it was so much easier to hear the rest of the band. I was very happy with the sound of the Clarus-2/CXL-110 combination - the position I was playing from gave me a better idea of what it sounded like from in the audience. Getting back to the original question (sorry for the diversion) the new Clarus is bigger than the old one - it's heavier and takes up half as much space again, but as Bob (AH) says, the new ones have more headroom/bells/whistles/features. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the new Clarus (hey, if you get one and don't like it, they move very quickly on eBay!)

Hope this helps -

- Wil
  5. Yes that does help, thanks. I have a Bergantino EX 112, and it just seems like the Clarus would be the perfect amp to get for upright and low volume electric gigs.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Clarus is only going to put out about 150 watts at 8 ohms. The Bergantino is not a very efficient cab(97db?), so that might be a consideration. If you are talking about really low volume, like a Jazz duo/trio, then it might be ok.
  7. Well, the size of the Clarus is very appealing, not to mention the sound. I just can't think of a better amp for what I need, and I already have the Bergantino. Is there another amp out there that's comparable?
  8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've had the Clarus/Berg combination and I think you will be pleased with that combination. Check out Ed Friedland's rig.

10. I'd consider the Focus if it were less expensive. Besides, I have an amp for loud playing situations already, but it's just big, and less than ideal for upright bass.
  11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm not quite understanding. If you like the
    Acoustic Image sound for upright and electric
    bass, why not get one head with enough power
    for all your work, that's small and light too. Get
    1 or 2 small, light, speakers, that can work for
    both basses. (epi UL or berg) There you have it!
    EASY!! ......... but if its so damn easy, why can't
    i do it for myself??
  12. The thing is I have an awsome loud amp already. I have an Aguilar DB 659 with a QSC RMX 850 power amp. I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. But it's kind of big, and it would be nice to have a much more portable amp that sounds great for upright too. I don't need a second loud amp if it's going to cost my that much money.
  13. paulgraybass

Feb 9, 2004
    I own a series 1 clarus and a series 2 clarus. The series 1 IS a sweeter sound (marginally) and it is tiny. However the series 2 preamp is more noise immune and features on the preamp like the notch filter and high pass filter are useful on real world gigs, especialy if you are playing at a higher volume.

I use both, but the series 1 is always in my gig bag. On loud or doubling gigs I use both together with the series 2 as master.
  14. Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Amen! I'm pretty much resolved to get a Focus and probably a Shroeder cab 1210 (45lbs?). I can't afford a Woods and I'm tired of breaking my back. I figure I could use the extra head room on quiet gigs to really drive a clean mic sound. I honestly haven't played an AI outside of a store. I've heard a couple of guys around town and haven't really been blown away but, I think it has more to do with thier cab, Pickup EQ ect. Also , I can take the focus on the road as opposed to an iAmp, which, I've never tried but am intrigued with. Only one channel though.