Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old vs New DOD 250

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Droog, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Seems I can get an original DOD preamp 250. I've read around TK that these kick ass. Are the originals different than the new ones? I am going to try it out as soon as I can. What do you guys think?

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Since I started the whole 250 crazy here on TB :ninja: ...

The original is almost the exact same as the re-issue, but it seems the original has a bit more smoothness and bass boost (at least thats what I found...). I absolutly love my re-issue, it is the ulitmate overdrive - its just soooooo transparent... You know what they say, always go with the original - so I say go for it..

Alex

3. What about the newer "Yngwie Malmsteen" model? It's supposed to be a replica of the old grey version - anyone tried it for bass?

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The one thing guitarest say they hate about the 250 is that it is too transparent and that the bass response is too high, so Yngwie's sig modle is actualy totaly tuned for his sound = fender strat into a marshal jcm 900... It is much thinner sounding, more gain, and less transparent...

Alex

5. OK, so no Yngwie then...

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    So I bought the 250. I got it for $50 which for the original grey is good damn deal. Going to check it out at practice this evening. I loved how it sounded at the store, we shall see how it sounds in my rig.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got a reissue on the way, gonna see if I can get the old one to work to A/B them. Then I'll sell whichever doesn't sound as good :)