1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old vs. new Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jschulman, Oct 21, 2018.

1. jschulman

jschulman

Aug 21, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Hi all!

I've been using a Xerograph Deluxe with much success the past few months. I'm still learning how to use this pedal but I've got some amazing sounds out of it, especially when matched with my fuzz and/or my Subterranea.

However it's the older, one-switch version, and I'm tempted to sell it so I can get the newer version with two switches. Has anyone had experience with both? I'm especially interested in the "EXP" knob - does this essentially duplicate the attenuator on the Moog MP-2? What happens when it's used in tandem with that attenuator knob? Also, when triggering the ENV switch, is that like setting the Sens knob down to 0 on the old version?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Good luck getting a new one There is a mile long waiting list . I think he is just building the FMeron right now so hang on to your old one until new ones start coming out. I have been on the wait list for over 6 months and I just grabbed a V! because I have not seen any new ones on the site or anywhere online anywhere. Once in a great while one will pop up in the Classifieds here on TB but they don't usually last too long. According to the Manual for the V-1 it needs the EP-3 for an expression pedal. Is this incorrect?

3. jschulman

jschulman

Aug 21, 2018
    Queens, NY
    They do pop up occasionally on Reverb. There was one up today that sold in a few hours, but it was the first I've seen there in a month or two.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger but I wanted to do my due diligence first and see if it was worth it. I've got the old one in the meantime, and that's been serving me well :)

4. JMGiraffe

JMGiraffe Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Michigan
    He’s building them with the custom option on his site. Ordered one a week or so ago - they’re built to order so not immediately available but the build time isn’t that long.

5. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    With an expression plugged in, the frequency knob sets the ‘heel down’ lowest frequency and the expression knob sets the ‘toe down’ high end of the sweep. And yes, the second switch puts it in LP mode, like rolling the sensitivity full off. It’s a killer setup for sure! There was one listed here a few days ago, dunno if it sold.

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    What happens if you hit the env switch while sustaining a note? If env is initially on, does it sweep down or reset to off? Other way - if env is off initially and turned on, does it start or is it already rolling?

jschulman likes this.
  7. jschulman

jschulman

Aug 21, 2018
    Queens, NY
    It's definitely tempting. If the exp knob sets the toe-down high end, how does that interact with the attenuator knob on the expression pedal?

8. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I love everything this guy makes.
    I put my eyes on the quadrafuzz months ago (I wanted to buy one but I didn't even get emails back so I realized the wait was going to be way too long and I gave up :/ ) and now I'm buying the Oxide, used from an italian seller. I cant wait to put my hands on it

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    The Mouse likes this.
  9. jschulman

jschulman

Aug 21, 2018
    Queens, NY
    I totally get your IE love. I'm thinking about getting a Polytope, and I don't even like chorus.

oZZma and The Mouse like this.
  10. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I don't think the V2 needs that same expression pedal just a regular expression pedal because of the second knob. I just ordered one. If you are not in a rush to get one I will let you know what I think when it comes in. I Also have a FMeron and am ordering a Polytope soon . I had an Oxide but just could not get it to do what I needed it to. Supposedly he is coming up with a new dirt pedal sometime in the not too distant future will be waiting for that and will probably get a Nimbus SE also relatively soon. So far all his work has been exceptional IMHO.

oZZma likes this.
  11. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    The exp and Moog attenuator knobs serve the same purpose. I use the knob-less DOD mini and love it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018