Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old vs new Modulus Quantum.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, Aug 13, 2002.

1. I've found a guy who sells a black neckthrough Modulus Q5 from middle-late 80's. It's equipped with EMG's and has no truss rod.
    What are the differences between the older Quantums and the newer ones?
    The price is hardly $900 and it's in good shape. Only a small dent on the neck.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've owned both, and I liked the overall feel and construction of the older Modulus basses better than the new ones. Seems like the ones from the Geoff Gould era are put together with more attention to detail and have a little more sleek feel. The new ones feel kind of "chunky" to me for some reason. Tonally, I think they're pretty close.

I've heard the stories about problems with the pre-truss rod composite necks, but I never had a problem with any of mine. In fact, I sold the absolute best Q5 in the known world because I took some of the scare stories too seriously and didn't take my own good experiences into account enough. Regretted that mistake!

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I second that emulsion :-D
    The new ones are very good,but the older ones I've played have that je ne sais quoi, a certain vibe.Plus,you save a lot of money when you find a good used one.The price of the new ones is too high IMO.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I think there was a discussion a while back about problems with Modulus necks that did not have truss rods. Even if the bass is better, having that truss rod could save you a lot of grief. Just my .02

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The trussrod is the main difference. $900 is an OK price, not a stunning bargain by any means. I recently bought a near mint '99 for not a whole lot more. I would look around if you're serious about a Modulus. I own two '99 Quantum 6's with Barts and EMG's and they each have advantages in terms of tone. For an eighties Quantum 5, I'd want a good condtion hard case and superb condition for that price. And I'd still look around a while unless you're in a desperate hurry. Good luck.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Which, in all likelihood, it's not.

Absolutely.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Just don't forget....that truss rod isn't going to keep a neck from going bad, it just lets you adjust the thing when it needs it. Remember that lots of wooden necks with truss rods go bad...that's not a phenomenon limited to composite necks. In fact, I'd be willing to be that a much higher percentage of wooden necks WITH truss rods go bad vs. non-truss composite necks.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Please remember that Modulus states that the "truss rod" IS NOT STRUCTURAL!!!!!!!

In fact, it may not be a truss rod at all. Modulus simply calls it a "relief adjustment system." Based on everything that I have been able to find out, it does nothing whatsoever to add to the stability of the neck. It simply creates a given amount of under or over bow in the fingerboard to allow a player the setup he or she wishes.

So, if all of this is true, the newer necks offer no improvement in stability at all.

Not that it matters, I haven't seen the slightest movement from my Q5 neck even with the most extreme climate changes.

Chas

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Agreed re: structural improvement. I don't usually think of a trussrod as offering structural improvement, in fact, although that is clearly the case in many wooden necks. The "grief" it will save you, however, is in playability adjustment capability if you happen to be one of those players who likes their action unique and "just right."

10. Remember: I live in sweden. In sweden a bass is either a Fender P or J, an Ibanez, a Stingray or a Warwick Streamer Standard. This modulus is the first I've ever seen and I love it. But as I said in another post I can try it for a week with FULL refund.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  12. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I have an older Quanutm ('91) and a newer one. I love both, but have to say that there's something about the neck profile of the older models that just does it for me. Very thin, very fast. Although, structurally, not as sound as the newer models. The newer ones aren't all that thicker, but enough to notice the difference. I have to say that just in the last three months or so, I've noticed a slight bit more relief in the neck of my '91. I use TIs on that one which are so loose that its every bit as comfortable to play, so its not a concern of mine. I'm hoping its moved all its going to. But, I digress ;) To answer your question, new and old, they're rokken basses. All things being equal (i.e. condition, neck relief, etc.) I'd prefer to play an older model.

Lates,
    Davo

13. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Which model TIs do you use? Do they require having to cut the windings so as to fit on the 35" scale?

14. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got jazz flats on it. And yes, I did have to shave some of the silk (which I totally botched, by the way - they're a mess!). Cool strings, very comfortable and easy to play, but I wish I had gone with jazz roundwounds instead.

Lates,
    Davo

15. The 5str Modulus was sold before I could buy it, but I found another one the other day. I'ts being sold for approx. 650$. It's a Modulus Q6 from '82 or '83. Is there anyting special about those old basses or does anybody have any links to info on old Moduluses?

Thanks for the replys so far!

16. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Q5 and Q6-both newer basses with the truss rod. They both have very nice necks on them and I have used the truss rod on both of them. I would not shy away from an older Modulus with a stable neck, however, I sure like the newer necks.

Chuck

17. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    :confused: This is new or old one (pre-truss rod )?
    Eduardo

18. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    ;) One more pic. Eduardo

19. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    :( No reply? Bad pics maybe...

20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The first two digits of the serial # indicate the year of manufacture.

I think Modulus started with the relief adjustment system in 2000, so before then would be without.

Chas