Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old Vs. New p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 27, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    ok,

old p-bass or new p-bass which one would you prefer?
    which time period p-bass is your favorite?
    :confused: :mad:

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Anything pre or post CBS ishould think....:eek:

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Post CBS for me.

4. after a few fixes of production ails, my 1978 is perfection.

thump, thump, thump

5. A heavey one from the 70's. I love my 74.

6. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I like up to about 84. The older ones had some nice weight to them. They felt solid. The new ones are nice though.

7. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I have owned 4 P-basses (MIJ '51 reissue, American Std and MIJ) and by far my favorite is my '57 reissue. Think it was US made in about '84. Put a SD Antiquity P-bass pickup in but otherwise it is stock and very sweet and love the look of the '57's!

8. From a guy who doesn't know Fender history too much:

Why are the pre-CBS Fenders better? Never played one btw.

9. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a 1970 p-bass, its real purdy, and its light on the shoulder, I <3 it, sounds awesome, but dosen't record that well :confused: .

10. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    I had the same problem ..my new pbass records great my my 72 was horrible to record with..but sounded great live..play as many as you can..your fingers will tell you which one is best

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    During the CBS years quality suffered a great deal due to the management style of CBS. They didn't understand the issue of quality as it related to musical instruments and managed at the same time to drop morale to an all-time low. There is quite a bit written about this on the Internet. Many claims are made about their focus on the bottom line and a willingness to sacrifice parts quality in order to increase profit. Many of the Fender history books (How the Fender Bass Changed the World, History of the Fender Bass, etc) detail this out as well.

Dan

12. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Pre and especially post CBS years have had their fair share of being overly focussed on the bottom line too.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    As a former vintage dealer, let me say that Leo cut his fair share of corners, too. The problem was that at some point after CBS took over Fender a year or so after the paper sale, they started cutting corners incompetently. Former Fender employees from the CBS period have written some terrible horror stories on the FDP. Ask one about the magnet wire fiasco, for example.

From a purely objective standpoint, current MIA Fender instruments are the best MIA Fenders ever built. The features are better, the engineering is better, the materials are better (or at least more consistent), the servicing ergonomics are better, the metal finishing and plating is better, the variety of available optional features and models are better, etc., etc., etc.

The reasons why some people prefer vintage are subjective, and are thus pretty much subject to a lot of self-deception and beyond meaningful discussion. Objectively, they are inferior instruments. "Feel," "tone," "mojo," "playability" and soforth are all matters of personal taste and frequently of pure fantasy.

The nuisance factor of having to pull the neck to adjust the trussrod compared to instant and precise access with a T-handled swivel allen wrench, for example, is objective and unarguable.

My vintage instruments are purely collector's items for investment purposes. I don't like them as players and in my years as a vintage dealer, I was never particularly overwhelmed by any that passed through my hands, as players.

There is such a thing as progress.

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

I would agree that is probably more accurate. After all, everyone tries to cut corners where they can.

Thank goodness. While I haven't been able to afford an MIA, I have played a vintage or two and I would agree with your argument. They weren't as nice as the newer models. I also have no desire to own vintage, but that is just my thing.

Thanks for the observations, they were insightful and interesting.

Dan

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Since this is kind of a poll I will vote for the pre-CBS.

I absolutely love my '63 Precision. I have yet to play a new Custom Shop, MIA, MIM, MIJ, MIC that is anywhere near as sweet.

This is all IMHO.

16. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    thank u thank u
    thanks for the comments....and how about this....reissues or original...20 years old bass....condition might not be so bad but it's 20 years old...older than me....which one would you prefer? and what does imho MIC mean?

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I think that one of the attractions for me is a broken-in feel. I really like a bass that kinda feels like a pair of my old worn Levi's. Kinda soft and comfortable. That's just me. My new F Bass really has a broken in feel to it.

MIC = Made in China:)

18. If it thumps, it's good in my book.