1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old vs. new Tokai basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Jul 18, 2007.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Anyone out there have any info about newer Tokai basses as compaired to the older ones. Prices, quality? People rave about the older ones from the 70;s and 80's. Are the ones from the 2000's as good?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I've owned an 80's MIJ Tokai P bass, and a 00's MIK Tokai Ricky 6 stringer, and it's chalk and cheese. The 80's Tokai was as good as any P bass I've played, while the 00 Tokai played like a cheap "guitar and amp Christmas present package deal" instrument.

3. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I have an 81 (I think) hard puncher (P bass). I'll put it up against just about any P. Definitly try to go older if you can find one

4. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Thanks for the info. That's unfortunate.

5. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    tokai make quite a good rickenbacker copy called a rockinsbetter. i tried one not long ago and it played well and sounded quite good but it cost £600 and it wasnt worth it, maybe £400.