Old Warwick = Good tone... new hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fortress1w, Oct 20, 2003.

1. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT
    I have a '93 Warwick Fortess One. It was the first year they made the bass and it has since been discontinued (sweet!). I put some nice Bartolini's in it (P/J) and an East pre-amp. It is outfitted with Brass frets, and a Brass nut.

I was thinking about taking out the Brass nut and replacing it with the new "adjusta-nut" that Warwick makes out of some carbon material.

Is this a good idea? Will it do wonders to my tone or really not make a difference?
  2. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a 93 fortress one, painted white, with barts and the ntmb preamp in it, i couldn't be more pleased with it. My fortress has a brass nut with individual string height adjustment screws.

I assume yours has the same one, why would you want to get rid of it?, i think it's an integral part of the bass's "warwick" sound. It may loose the bite and mellow out a bit if you were to change the nut out. If i were you i'd find one of the older brass bridges and tail-pieces and replace the aluminum ones that are on there.

PS: i had a newer covette and it had the adjust a nut you speak of, and the older one is better, IMO.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most people prefer the brass nut over the plastic one. It's more stable and sounds more like the fretted note.

Do yourself a favor and keep the bass as it is.
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    That's about the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

Replace your Just-a-Nut I with an Just-a Nut II and prepare to have your Warwick Club card revoked.
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've done it! So shoot me...

My 1987 Warwick had a solid brass nut, which was cut too low on the E-string. I replaced it with a graphite just-a-nut II. The open strings sound imperceptibly different (i.e. if they do, I've never noticed), the tuning stability is greater, and the bass is now perfectly set up. I have no regrets!

I've also replaced the MEC 2 preamp with an Aguilar OBP-3, added another battery for 18v power, replaced the aluminium alloy trussrod with a stainless steel one (the old one snapped but funnily enough the new one has added some growl - bonus!), added an ebony ramp/thumbrest between the pickups and I tried adding a hipshot detuner but the tuning keys were too close together.

It's an awesome bass and all my little tweaks have made it sound and play even better.

6. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings

Do you have any pics? I'd like to see a ramp on a Warwick!
  7. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT
    Ok... everyone can rest easy. I am not going to switch nuts and have my "club card" taken. Because that would be just a horrible thing!

I am really just here to find a tone that I can call my own, Its an on-going mission and I love/hate every minute of it.

I thought the Hipshot detuner would be a nice addition as well. How come you dont have enough room on the headstock for it? If you put some pics in can you include a shot of the back of the headstock?

when did warwick stop using the brass bridge and tailpiece?
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Basically the G-string tuner gets in the way of the big mechanism on the hipshot. I tried rotating the tuners to all sorts of angle so it would fit but it looked stupid and I couldn't get the hipshot to drop as far as I wanted (only down to C# and I wanted to get low B - I think the .110 E meant that a greater movement was required to drop the tension by an equivalent ratio as a .100 E would require to get to B) so the compromise was too much for me.

You mean when did they start? (Around 1990 I think) Surely they can't have stopped using the brass bridge (though I prefer the punch and clarity of my old Schaller aluminum one rather than that brass depth and sustain)?

I really should take some pics of all my stuff - I've got the slightly modded Warwick, the FrankenFretless (quite a sight!) and of course the pedalboard of terror and the rig of doom!!!

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    How do you like the aggie? Happy with the upgrade? Did it add anything perviously lacking, or reduce something that was excessive?