Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Warwick...new pickups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jankjo, Jun 11, 2002.

1. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    I just bought an old 1984 Warwick Streamer (pre stage 1 or 2). It has the original EMG pickups in it, and what looks like a homemade tone preamp (it's glued in, so I haven't ripped it out to see what the circuit diagram looks like). I am a bit disappointed in the tone.
    First of all, the volume out of the bass is less than my cheap p-bass passive Washburn.
    Second, I have played around with the tone knobs on the bass and on my Amp, but it still isn't as thumpy or warm as I would like.

Any suggestions?
    I was thinking about getting Barts with a preamp, but EMG s are supposed to be really good as well.

(By the way, the battery is definitly new. No sound at all without the battery.)

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    leave it with the EMG's. that's what MEC's were designed to sound like - that's the best idea to keep the "warwick" tone.

i'd just try a different preamp. EMG, aguilar, or U-retro deluxe would all me good options. (i'd lean towards the U-retro but that's just me)

3. notnuffsleep

notnuffsleep Guest

Jun 5, 2002
    San Dimas CA
    I agree- keep the MEC pickups, upgrade your preamp, I would suggest either an Aguilar or Sadowsky. Sometimes you get what you pay for

4. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Thanks for the advice...
    so if I upgrade just the preamp, should I get an onboard preamp or an external preamp/DI box?

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Look for an internal one with the same amount of knobs-I dont know if the Streamer treble and bass knobs are stacked or seperate.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    get the U-RETRO DELUXE!!!

volume/blend
    passive tone
    mid/midshift
    treble/bass

active/passive switch
    both/back pickup switch for passive mode

it's pricey, but everything i've read says it's the best out there.

http://www.j-retro.co.uk/main.htm

(i'm mostly just telling you this because i want to know what EMG's plus the U-retro sound like in a warwick because i want one. :) )