Old Yamaha "s215" bass cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hartke bassist9, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Howdy TalkBass,
    So, I picked up this old yamaha bass cabinet about a month ago at a Guitar Center in Virginia Beach, and I have NO clue what it actually is or whether or not it's really a bass cabinet. It definitely sounds like one and sounds great with my Acoustic 220, but I'm hoping I can get some more information on this cabinet. If anyone's seen or owned one, or know any of the specifications, I would love to hear any of it.
    Thank you.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  2. bottomed!

bottomed!

Mar 17, 2015
    It is in fact a bass cab. A veritable copy of the Sunn cab that was popular at the time. I used one with the matching 100 watt SS head. perfectly awful tone. Could never get it to sound decent no matter what I did to it. Woofy and indistinct, distant and dull.

3. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I bought one of those brand new back in the day. I had the dealer load it with E140s though. It was a great cab. VA Beach, you say? I'm in Richmond. If it's the same cab, don't go looking for those JBLs in there. I unloaded it and sold it empty decades ago.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  4. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    "Woofy and indistinct, distant and dull".Exactly.Couldn't wait to get rid of the thing.
    There's all these great options now,why break your back?

5. I haven't had any issues with the sound of it. I get nice lows and clear highs with a very appealing tone I've never heard our of modern cabs. I haven't looked to see what speakers are in it, but I'll let you all know when I do. Also, I'll try to get a recording or two posted here.

6. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    JBLs are going to have silver caps. I don't see that in your pic. Like I mentioned in my other post. I removed the E140s from mine and sold the cab unloaded.

7. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I believe that is the second (or third) generation version of the Yamaha J-120 cab that came with the original Yamaha B100 head. As I recall, the original version of the J-120 was identical but had grill cloth that covered both the speakers and the ports. Later versions (B100 ii and B100 iii) had the same cab but the grill cloth only covered the speakers, leaving the ports exposed. Very efficient, great sounding cabs imo/ime. Others' tastes may vary. Congrats.

8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    This and the matching B100 head was my first 'good' rig - bought new & stock, and used it heavily from 1979 - 1992. I loved everything about it but the weight, and it always got kudos from bandmates and sound techs.

9. Bob Walls

Bob Walls

Jan 28, 2021
    Used the Yamaha bass rig for years. Did good sized venues and never was miked into pa. Sound man would help set my levels at sound check. Amp was borrowed by another musician and he disappeared with it. Always wanted to replace it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021