1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Older Ampeg 2x15 Cabinet Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickdahl, May 12, 2006.

1. nickdahl

nickdahl

May 11, 2006
    Ithaca, NY
    I've got an old (70s perhaps) Ampeg 2x15 cabinet that I've been lugging around for about 20 years now. When I got it, it had some nasty blown Radio Shack speakers in it. I'm wondering what speakers would work well in it. The cab is not very deep.

Thanks,

Nick

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  3. eminence

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

SBT with the amp pulled, B25B, BT140, V4B, or one of the newer ones.

CTS, Eminance, E/V, Altec and JBL were all used at one time or another, especially in the early 70'S.

Eminance and CTS were the most common

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

5. nickdahl

nickdahl

May 11, 2006
    Ithaca, NY
    Great. Thanks for the help, Wesley. I'll continue the investigation. Didn't find what I was looking for in the FAQ, but I'll keep digging.

Nick

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What should be in there is that drivers and enclosures must be properly matched to each other according to their Theile/Small parameters or they won't work well. There are a number of programs available to help with this, but before using any of them one should first read a book on loudspeaker design, such as those by Dickason or Weems or Alden, to know what it is you're trying to accomplish before attempting to do so.