Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Older Benavente

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikemike, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    "This is one of the early Benavente Standard models with Alder body and spalted maple top. Ebony board with maple/zebra/padouk neck-through. EMG pickups with full 3 band eq."

What do you guys know about these old standard Benavente basses? I am probably going to buy this one, because I played one like it last year (and it blew me AWAY!), but I have never heard anybody else mention them. How do they sound? That's the only weak point for me, because I'm not too sure if the one I played had the EMGs, I thought they were Barts. Any input would be great, though.
    Thanks!

2. eroc

eroc

Jul 5, 2003
    if you would be able to record anything with it put up some clips!

3. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Here's a pic of the back. (that's one hell of a beautiful neck!) It has a spalted maple top, but it almost looks like it could have been left "fungus-ing" longer while it was made. I like it though, with no spalt near the neck, and gradually gaining towards the bridge. Nice!

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I must say that is one nice bass.
    I really like the back of the neck.

Nice!

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The neck is sweet.

[​IMG]

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    wow! so he ripped off ken smith before fodera! cool. anyway, a beautifull bass.

7. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Ya at least could mention the fact that it's got Blue LED's!

8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I had an older 219 5-string that had Bart soapbars and Bart 3-band preamp. His older necks used a dual-trussrod that resulted in a thicker neck. At first it took some getting used to, but that was the best, most solid bass I've had yet (like a dolt I traded it away). The B-string on that bass was the best ever, I think a lot had to do with the neck.

I'm not sure if the one you're looking at has the thicker neck, but that would probably be worth checking into if it would be a concern to you.

You can always swap out pickups and preamps. If you end up not liking the EMG setup, you could try adding a U-Retro preamp with the EMG pickups (a very winning combination).

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Mikemike

That is going to have the older trust rod with dual graphite inlays, but being a 4 string it won’t feel any different then any other 4 string. The 5 string’s and 6 string necks on the old basses were a little rounder because back then Chris used a thicker dual action trust rod. He still uses a dual action trust rod today for the strength and ability to go both ways with the neck, but the one he uses is much thinner which allows for the faster and flatter neck profiles.

10. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    :D That's another cool feature! But I'm still wondering how the EMGs sound, if they weren't, in fact on the on I tried. If everyone's right and they usually end up sounding like Foderas, then I can't say I'd mind much! (And no matter what kind of pickups they are, they will more than likely sound amazing. Benaventes are so bitchin!)

11. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Hey, brian, what kind of wood is on the headstock? I'm guessing wenge. (Don't know too much about woods.)

12. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
  13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

tired real tired

14. That bass looks nothing like a Ken Smith. If anything it looks like a Carvin Bunny Brunell Model.

Either way like Jon said the whole this and that look alike is old. If you wanna argue that then 90% of the bass companies out there ripped off Fender.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

THANK YOU! :bassist:

It’s amazing at how short-sited people are. Everyone has taken from someone before them and tried to go a step further!

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i think people have HEARD something someone else has said and think they sound intelligent when they repeat it. if you dont like it DONT BOTHER OPENING YOUR TRAP!