Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

older car; new lease/finance

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Ok I am totally fed up here.... I have an 88 nissan pulsar NX that is giving me problems. the tranny bearings are bad so it makes weird noises... now a bunch of crap with the ignition module has gone bad it could cost 800 bucks to fix! I only have 800 bucks, I'm living with my parents attending university and working part-time my wage brings in about 700 a month. I hate this car I want rid of it, I dont like dealing with constant problems...

So I am at a crossroads...

I could either lease/finance a cheaper car hyundai, kia.... Or
    buy another car from maybe the early 90's honda accord or the like.

I am just sick of this car nickel and dimeing me. Can any automotive guys lend me some advice?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    How many miles or km do you drive in a year?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Avoid leases.

bc

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, I can't understand why someone would make a down payment, pay thousands of dollars over several years, and then give it back.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Keep the run down beater, it will provide several funny stories when you are older. "Remember the time we drove that beat up Nissan to the Nickelback concert?" type of stories.

When you get out of school, move in to a place of your own, and get a good job, go buy yourself a newer car.

-Mike

6. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I'd say get an old Toyota. They don't die, ever. Even if you try to kill them, it'll just keep on going.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or - "Remember that time the tape player ate your Scott Stapp tape?"

bc

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    True. The guys on Top Gear tried to kill a Toyota pick-up once.

-Mike

9. haha, this car is just a piece of infinit sadness.....

I bought it for 2000 in May 05... since then i've learned the tranny could go at anytime, it gets bad gas mileage(in comparison to wha tit should), it is starting to rust, now I have burnt a bunch of crap in the engine it runs on 3 cylinders, and now i could be dropping 800 on it, just to lose the transmission in 2 weeks....

I dont know guys.... maybe i need a toyota....

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Well, you're going to spend $ any way you look at it.

Either you're going to have a payment from the new car, or you're going to get nickel and dimed to death with an older car.

Your choice.