1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Older Dean Edge Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gus Borden, Apr 27, 2009.

1. I've played the new Dean Edge basses (with the 4 knob config), really great basses for the money... anyone out there have experience with older ones (5 or 6 years old) with the 3 knob configs? I am looking at one for a great price - but just curious regarding the quality of the older Dean Edges

2. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I have an Edge-1 that is about 5 years old. I will probably never get rid of it. It's a great bulletproof bass with an awesome tonal range (2 EMG soapbar config) and one of the best necks of any bass I own. It's great to play and for the money (I think I paid $150 w/ a HSC), it's hard to beat.

Lots of folks bash these Deans, but I don't listen to lots of folks. It suits me just fine, and it's a keeper. I'd look into it, if the price is right.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

They're good low-cost basses. I used to have an Edge 1 with the 3 knobs. It was a great bass. Sounded really nice. Pretty well put together considering what they cost.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I plan to get a dean edge bass myself. I've tried the 4-string versions of those basses at a guitar center and they sounded fantastic. I plan to get the dean edge 5. I do like that transparent red color on that bass. it looks real nice. :)

I was wondering if anyone on this thread is a member of the dean forum site.

5. Thanks all!
    Yea - I am lookin' at a Dean Edge 5 5-stringer. Seems to be in very good condition.

Last weekend I got a chance to try out a 4-string fretless Edge - absolutely played on par with basses at least twice as much!

But I am pretty set on the 5-string right now - have 2 4's at the moment and no 5'er so...

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have a Dean Edge 5 fretless which was the original passive VOL/VOL/TONE with EMG-HZ branded pickups. This was replaced by a four knob active version with Dean branded pickups. I have tried the active version and I much prefer the passive one myself, at least for fretless. The passive version is not nearly as bright - the preamp seems to include a treble boost even when everything's set flat; either that or the "Dean" branded pickups are brighter than the "EMG HZ" ones. I loved the sound of the passive Edge.