Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Older G&L L2000's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnome01, Aug 2, 2002.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Just got an early L2000 (when the headstock wasn't partially chopped off). Damn! The new ones are nice but they sure don't make em like they used to. I bet it's only a matter of time before the price starts to pick up for these things. It's got that old fender bite and resonance, but with hotter pickups and a 3-bolt neck that actually doesn't shift all over the place! I tried a 6-bolt L2000 that didn't seem nearly as stable.

2. Wicca

Wicca

Oct 13, 2001
    Maryland
    Yep, another G&L convert. Once you have a G&L, nothing else seems to measure up.

3. out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your L-2000? and those with expertise on the topic of G&L's, what would be an acceptable price to pay for a new G&L L-2000 or L-2500? i have a general idea and have a shopped around a little bit, but not extensively.

Joel

4. I got my L-2500 for $1000. From what I've heard, that seems to be a decent price.

5. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I actually have 2. I paid $550 for my '94 fretless L2000, although I did have to change the nut 4 times! The one I just got is early 80's and it sold for just under $800 - I paid 750 which may have been a bit high, but for that particular bass I didn't care. New ones range from 900 to 1200 or so, but since they have so little resale value, I'd try to get a used one. I've even seen used L2500's being sold for under 700.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there's a new l2000 with a flame maple top for $850 at the local music go round.

i REALLY want it, although i think i'd like one with the jazz neck better.

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have a 1982 L2000E. It was my first "real" bass, and what a bass it is! Tobacco burst with a rosewood fret board. It is a fine instrument with a heavy sound that is thick and full. I don't play it much anymore, but when I do I remember why I bought it!
    Lets see pics!!

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    hey lneal I have the same '82 L2000e. I also have a '00 L2000 (the one on the right) available for trade or possible sale.

[​IMG]

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

10. gnome01, i've never heard before this of G&L's having a low resale value. i'm not doubting you or challenging your statement, i'm just merely curious. what has made their resale value drop?

hmmm, arent i just playing mr. naive in this thread?... :)

-Joel

11. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I don't know exactly why G&L's have low resale - but I know that they have usually sold for $1000 or so new (closer to 1200 these days) and used they usually don't sell for more than half of that. I've seen '99 L2000's selling for under $600. Could be that the company simply isn't as well known as Fender or Music Man - or not. Beats me.

12. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Name recognition (or lack thereof). Everybody and their uncle knows Fender and Musicman. G&L is not well known and even plenty of knowledgable, experienced musicians don't know squat about them. Low demand => low price.

And if you are paying more than ~$900 for a new standard setup L2000 you might be paying too much.

It does make used G&Ls a great value for people who like G&Ls (like me).

13. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I paid $500.00 new for the one in the pic above in '82. That included the hard shell case. 'Course that was 20 years ago. I also got them to throw in a cord and a set of strings! That was at Metro Music in Atlanta. (Anybody remember that store?) As far as resale value, I think craigb may be on target. I think that they will eventually appreciate in value, especially the older ones.
    The parts quality as well as fit and finish on these basses is first rate and rivals some of the high end basses.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't know exactly what to attribute the low resale value to (I have several ideas)... on the bright side, it makes a very nice bass very affordable. My red 1980 L2000E on the floor was $275:

[​IMG]

15. from a strictly photographical sense, isnt it easier to fit one bass in a frame than FOURTEEN! :p

however, if the bass standing up on the far left is a MIA Jazz Deluxe V, which i think it may be, we have the exact same bass...even down to the year (because all 5 tuning pegs are on top, like mine) and finish (transparent blueburst). but unlike yours, mine seems out of place next to thirteen other basses... :(

Joel

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Didn't feel like cropping, attaching, editing and reposting. This pic was already up on TB so it didn't take any additional server space.

17. i know i know...i was just giving you a hard time, because i'm mainly incredibly amazingly jealous :)!! as far as i say, anybody who has that many great basses deserves to take a little slack because of others' stupid jealousy. cuz afterall, when people give you crap, you can then just be like "screw those guys, i'm gonna go home and try to play 14 basses at once." i mean honestly, how many other people here can say something like that?! :)

Joel

18. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does the sound differ between a 80´s mahogany L2000 and a new one in alder or ash?
    Im looking to buy one but havent heard either.
    Is it best to buy a new or old one as a first G&L?

19. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Since I currently have both (a mahogany and an alder...but the alder is forsale) I'll try to describe.
    I persoannly like the mahogany sound better. it is tighter and a little more crisp than the alder. the alder resonates a little better and sounds a little more "old school" then that mahogany. However there is a big weight difference. the alder is much lighter than the mahogany. The alder has some nice punch, but I prefer the crispness of the mahogany.

my '82 mahogany L2000 is going to be a permanent keeper for me, where as the '00 alder is going away in favor of another bass. But use your own judgement. It depends on the the tone you are going for. The differences are subtle, but they are there. Other people prefer alder or ash (I have never played an ash L-2000)

oh yeah, I bought both of mine used

-KB

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    are all l2000's of a certain vintage mahogany?

cos...mahogany L2000 sounds like it would be FUN!!!