1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Older GK 410 Cabinet - wiring/impedance/power handling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbillow, Apr 1, 2006.

1. dbillow

dbillow

Mar 28, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I have an older GK 410 cab bought new in 1981 that has no markings on the back plate other than serial #10781 and "Campbell, California". I'm trying to determine the impedance, wattage handling and make a decision as to whether I should modify it to have Speakon connectors for use with my Ampeg SVT 3 Pro. The wiring connecting the speakers internally appears to be parallel, the jack goes to the first speaker and then to each additional speaker from both terminals like a daisy chain (there are two wires from each speaker to the next). The internal wiring is basically like cheap lamp cord and I'm wondering if I should upgrade that to a better quality cable.

Eventually I am going to add a 15" speaker cabinet to my setup as well.

Any Thoughts? Thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had one of the old 4-10s from GK. They were available in 8 or 4 ohms. I got the 4 ohm. It sounds like mine was of the same series as yours.

It was allright but nothing like the 4-10s made now. Not too efficient and only rated for 320 watts I believe. I used mine with a 400 RB head and it had a decent sound but not a lot of volume before distortion. I traded it in for a pair of Yorkville 8 ohm 1-15 cabs and even one of them was louder and bigger sounding than the 4-10.

I don't think upgrading the wiring and connectors will do anything noticeable to improve the sound.