1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

older GK cab info needed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4001Guy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    hi all. i'm wondering what model cab this single 15 GK box i recently got is. also wondering power handling and impedence.
    no info on back plate, just Gallien-Krueger Campbell Calif. and the serial no. slightly slanted metal grill. carrying strap on the top.
    thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

2. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    bumpity..

anyone?

please?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't know much about the technical specs of that cabinet, but I did play through one with a GK 800RB head at a jam a couple of times. It had a good sound and was all the volume needed for a small club at pretty high volume.

It's for sure one of the earlier GK cabs. I checked many years ago into some of GKs gear and that one was I think rated for 200 watts, 8 ohms. I think that some of the 15" cabs of that era had EV speakers.

If you can get one at a good price, it's worth buying as long as the speaker's okay. (edit-just noticed you own it)

I missed one that was on sale really cheap at a local music store in Toronto about 6 years ago. It was in like new condition.

4. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    thanks for the info 62bass. i was guessing a power handling of rougly 200 watts, and that it was an older (possibly 80's) cab. it sounds great, especially on top of my ampeg 18 cab, and i imagined it would be just fine for smaller rooms/restaurants/rehearsals. i did pick it up for a good price, so i don't mind it looking a little worn. the speaker seems to be just fine. if it's an EV, then so much the better. i could touch up the black paint a little and it would look really good.

5. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    I have a similar 115 GK cab, with the port on the top,the difference being mine has handles on the sides,it is an E.V. and it is rated at 400watts ,I forget the speaker model# but my techie filled me in on it,yours prob. has the same speaker,note i bought mine new in about '85 ,so it's original speak.I run my 800rb into it usually with my peavey 410 sound good. cheerio

6. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    i measured my cab, and it's 17 wide x 20.5 high (not including the rollers) x 12.75 deep.

does that jibe with your cab dimensions, Big Thump?

it's odd there is no info on the back plate where the input jack is, but it's all original as far as i can tell. has the GK logo and serial, just no model, wattage or impedence.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The one I saw for sale had a tolex covering I believe. I didn't check the back plate though.

8. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Yup,I'm sure it's the same cab but mine is covered with black carpet and has 2 deep pocket handles on the sides, It's at my rehearsal studio so i can't check the back plate til next weekend, though it's a plastic plate with 2 inputs, I'm pretty sure It says campbell calif.

9. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    By the way i love your Ricky I had the same one except I think mine was a "75 very cool yhe white ones, My neck developed a small crack by the nut underside major drag, if you get a chance try running your 4oo into the Ampeg 810, you'll love that sound with your rick, i ran the same but with my 800. Cheers

10. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    hey Big Thump, thanks for the added info. if you get a chance to scope the dimensions of that cab please send me a PM or add to the topic again. i suspect they may be variations on the same model as mine only has a single input jack, but if they are the same size then the driver may well be the same.

thanks for the appreciation on the Rick. i love mine too. i'd also love to have an ampeg 810, but the $$ and the weight. ay caramba. as it stands i am getting the lows i love from an older ampeg svt18E cab. that 18 and this 15 make a great combo as it turns out.