1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Older Hobbyist Bass Boredom

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassR72, Oct 22, 2013.

1. BassR72

BassR72

Aug 3, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm in my 40's and have just gotten back into playing after a long, long break. I played more drums back in the day than bass. So, I have been practicing off and on for a couple of years and I am growing a bit bored just thumping around on my bass at home. I have not had much luck finding folks to jam with on craigslist, etc. either.

I am just curious how others have dealt with this stuff. Please share.

2. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I don't think I've ever known anyone to find good situations in craigslist. My suggestion would be find a local open Mic. As bass players were are a minority. I used to go to open Mic and sit up there all night just playing along with singer songwriters and backing them up. Have been offered many opportunities and have made lots of good friends. Still like to swing in every one in a while. Haven't been in 7 months, that reminds me. I need to swing in there and say hi and support everyone. Lol

3. +1 on open mics. I actually had some luck with craigslist but it's a crapshoot. Open mics or jam sessions are fun and you can play bass with a bunch of different people and not have to commit to being in a band or anything. Just be ready to watch the guitarists' hands alot so you can pick up the chords, and practice by listening to the radio and faking your way through songs you don't know.