1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Older P-bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewfunk, Nov 10, 2010.

1. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    My friend's friend is wanting to sell his Fender P-bass Special, and would part with it to me for 250 bucks. Can you guys give me some details on these basses? I cant find much info on them, all the stuff i find is for the newer active deluxe versions, but this is an older one, the passive 3 knob version. Good bass? Good deal?

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    thats a good price if it is what you say it is.
    id buy it if it were me.

3. Pics would help,big time.

4. Assuming it's in good shape and everything works, yes that's a great price. I have one in white with the anodized gold pickguard, I think I paid around $400.00 with a HSC.

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    For that price as a player, yes. There doesn't appear to be much room for generating a profit-if you tire of it, unless it is minty fresh.

6. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I not sure if you are talking abou the same thing, but I have a p-bass deluxe special (jazz neck, p-bass body, p/j pickups, gold pick guard) Mine is the older passive model. $250 is a very good deal. These are considered by many as "best of both world" basses. Very comfortable jazz neck and the stock pickups were very usable (p-tone and some bridge jazz for fingerstyle funk). I used mine to learn how to get over my fear of doing my own work on my bass. With the help of the folks here at TB, I replaced the pick ups with dimarzios, replaced the bridge with a badass II, and replaced the gold pick guard with a black perloid.(I think it looks pretty sweet now) This is my "back up bass" but I like it enough to bring it as my primary on many gigs.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Depends. Is it an older one from the 1980's (80-83 IIRC)? Often have a matching headstock, gold hardware. Those were the first active P basses and had quite the character.

If it's a P/J, then its a mid-later 80's and not as valuable. Pics would be great!

8. I believe you are talking about the late 80's "Duff McKagen" model (now Fender officially has a Duff model) with P/J pickup configuration, Jazz neck, painted headstock, no pickguard. If so, it's worth $250 all day long (worth more actually). Real nice model

9. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    This right here.
    Its in good condition, but could use new pots and some truss rod straightening, all of which i can do.

10. Drew, does yours have the gold anodized pickguard and an unfinished headstock?

11. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
  12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Here's the old ones I was referring to. If you got one of these for $250, that's a STEAL! They go upwards of $1000-1500

[​IMG]

or is it like this?

[​IMG]

These are the newer ones, and easier to find. $250 still a good price IMO

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  14. Absolutely. Just look at that BIN on the auction.

Like I said, I paid $400.00, not the deal of the century, but $250.00 is a great price.

15. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The Precision Bass Special, Deluxe Series, was made in Mexico around 1993, P body, J neck, gold aluminum guard Passive, three knob, side jack, tinted headstock, very nice bass that now sells for $400 to $600 used. I have one and it is a great instrument. The newer ones are active with 4 knobs and side input jack. I prefer the older, passive model.

16. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Thanks a ton guys!
    Semi related question, whats a neck on one of these worth? I'd like to get a maple neck for it, and selling the current one would help finance that ;)

17. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    **Your question about the neck reminded me of something very important about these basses. If I recall correctly, they don't have the the standard fender neck pocket and a replacement neck would be difficult to find. Check out www.warmoth.com to be sure if this would be a deal breaker for you.

18. The P-Bass Special you're interest in was made with both rosewood and maple boards. Your best bet would be to line up a trade with another P-Bass Deluxe owner or hold out for one with the neck you desire.

IME, IMHO, aftermarket necks being a good fit is always a bit of a gamble unless you are a trained tech who can reconfigure heels and pockets, knows how to work with shims, etc.

You may be looking at an extra expense if you hire a tech, and the kind of mod you are suggesting for this bass will basically negate the great price.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I once purchased two P-Bass Deluxe Actives, one had a rosewood board, the other had maple. I wanted to switch the necks. Guess what? The heel pockets were cut just different enough that it wouldn't have worked unless I took it to my tech and paid him a pretty penny. I ended up just settling on the rosewood board and selling off the other one. I'm very happy with it.

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    $600 for a used MIM Fender?

Pass.

20. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have a MIM Pbass special a year 2000 model - passive, CAR with gold pickguard. This is a very nice bass that I keep going back to. I wouldn't sell mine $250.

Head.

DSCN1252.

I'm OK with the rosewood fretboard but I did upgrade the PU and bridge.