1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Older Peavey Cabs ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Porkchop2, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Hello Talkbass!

I've been casually looking around town for an inexpensive larger cab, I'm kinda leaning for a Peavey..
    A couple local places have these cabs for cheap enough. Just looking for something I can beat on at larger venues. I have a Hartke 3500 and LH1000 for heads.. Not too worried about weight or size since I have a Caprice Station Wagon for transport.

810TX - $250
    410TVX - $200
    2 x 1516 ~$225

Just wondering what your thoughts are. I play in a classic rock(ish) band, will be using a Fender MIM PJ and some Bug Muff Fuzz once in a while. I currently use 2 Hartke HX112 Hydrive cabs which I like the sound of but they cant keep up in a larger setting. Preferable something with a strong low end..

There's also a Peavey Mark 8 XP a could snag too..

2. Go with the 810.

3. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Yeah, thats kinda how I'm thinking... Seems like the best bang for the buck..
    I'd turn off the tweeter too. How do these TX cabs like fuzz or distortion pedals ??

4. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    There is also a Hartke 810XL nearby locally? any thoughts on how it would compare to the Peavey 810?

5. My 810tx had no problem with distortion.

My preference is still the Peavey.

mbelue and Porkchop2 like this.
  6. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    For what you play, I bet that 2x15 would kill. I have a hartke lh500 and an old peavey 115 with a scorpion that i use on bless jams, it's brutal. I've been looking for a 2x15 for even more brutality.

Porkchop2 likes this.
  7. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Right, these 1516's have an 1502-4 BW in them, I'm just afraid they'd be too Mid forward sounding, Wonder how swapping the 15's tp 1505 BWs would work. Plus the crossover on them needs work, probably new switching jacks... Still 2 15s is kinda appealing, I had a scorpion loaded 215D I sold about 6 years go to a friend, with I'd kept it...

8. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    I would get the 8x10. Those 1516 cabs are OK at best, but the 8x10 is a steal for that price.

Porkchop2 likes this.
  9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I've owned and played through a lot of Peavey cabs over the years. The TX and TVX cabs are just generally very good. I still have my 410TX and my old 118BW. I always like the 215D it's a good cab. I have never played through the 810TX but I bet it would be a great 810 cab, it cartage is not a problem then go for the 810TX you sure can't beat the price.

Porkchop2 likes this.
  10. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Thank you all, I'll be going to check out the 810TX tomorrow, its about an hour away form home. It looks bet up cosmetically but as long its functioning well I thing I'll grab it. I'm actually kind looking forward to the idea of recovering/restoring the cabinet... Might be cool to make it look like the older Peaveys with the black grill and silver side stripes...

11. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Well, I checked out the 810tx, it was in bad shape, the top 2 speakers were blown and the cab was beat down pretty bad so I had to pass.. But...
    I did score 2. 1516 cabs and a Mark 8 xp for $275 for all. Needs a little TLC but sounds awesome! Crazy loud!

IMG_20160123_165558641.

12. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    You did okay! I love a lot of Peavey gear, particularly basses but I too own a 1x15 Scorpion (in a TKO 115) but have used the speaker in other boxes.

You can ALWAYS find spares for cheap if you look...btw, was the Peavey 8x10 a 4 ohm cabinet.

I love 8x10 cabs....you can roll the darn things around and I can fit my Acoustic 8x10 in the back seat of my Camry.

Anyhow, have been looking at Peavey 8x10s myself.....trying to determine what speakers and what impedance individually the speakers were.

But I digress....I love a 2x15 setup....its seemingly one of the easiest and cheapest options to find used...mine are a pair of EV TL606 with EV15L's.

I bet that rig sounds great!

Porkchop2 likes this.
  13. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Thanks, I used to have a 215D with scorpions, sounded good but now having tried the black widows I like the bw tone more. The 810tx was 4 ohm. It was super bassy, very scooped sounding. I had the store shaking pretty good even with the 2 blown speakers... The 1516 is a 2way crossed over at 600hz.. 4 ohm but the mark 8 can run 2 ohms.. The 1516 has a nice grindy low mid sound with smooth highs. My big muff sounds awesome thru this..

14. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Well, I was cleaning up the 1516 cabs and found out they dont have the original Black Widows in them...
    One has a 1502-8 8 ohm BW and the other has an 8 ohm Peavey Pro 15..
    The originials would have been 1502-4 Black Widows...
    As I understand having 8 ohm 15's in these cabs may be a problem for the crossover since the crossover is designed for 4 ohm drivers, the the 15's low pass which should be 600Hz for 4ohm is now 1200Hz for 8 ohm. so now there would be an overlap between 600-1200hz between the 15" and the 8's...Right?

Now, since I kinda have to replace both 15" drivers anyways to get the impedance right, what do all you TBers think is the best bet??
    Should I just find a couple 1502-4's?? I was looking into the 1505-4 BWs but these 4 ohm versions dont look to be as readily available these days (the 1505-8 8ohms are available tho but no help..)
    Is there a 4 ohm Eminence or other brand (or newer Peavey) driver that would be a better option?

Another option could be to replace the crossover and 8" drivers to 8 ohms ??

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  15. I'd get (and have gotten) the ones they'd recommend. It is the one the cab was designed around.
    I thought they are 4 ohm cabinets. I hope your amp goes down to 2 ohms otherwise there may be a big issue.

Porkchop2 likes this.
  16. One cab will work with the Hartke 3500 as (I believe) it only goes down to 4 ohms and these are 4 ohm cabinets. Not sure about the LH1000. BTW, I used to pair my 1516 with the 3500 and blew the 15" speakers quite frequently. User error for sure: I was too aggressive eqing in the bass area. To save you the aggravation and the money, mids are your friends so don't ask for too much in the 40-80hz area and get your volume in the next band.
    You probably want to replace the speaker they advise you to go with as this was the speaker the cab was designed around.

Sorry for the retread of information. I didn't believe the previous post was 'posted'.

BadExample and Porkchop2 like this.
  17. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Thanks, I have a Mark 8 to run these that can do 2 ohms. For the low end and blowing drivers, thats kinda why I was wondering of there was an upgrade option vs the OEM drivers.. I'm guessing I'll just go with the stock 1502-4s since they are available, There's a place near me I'm gonna check that has lots of woofers laying around.. pretty sure they'll have the 1502-4s on hand.

BadExample likes this.
  18. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I had some blue vinyl laying around so I recovered the Peavey Mark 8, came out looking good..

19. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Well I had some vinyl around so figured I'd recover the peavey mark 8 with it, came out looking good..

IMG_20160130_200810084.

deathness, todd burns and gfaulkner like this.
  20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Calling @BbbyBld or @DukeLeJeune ? They might be able to help with this...

Beautiful job refinishing the Mark XIII! You have one of the great legacy stacks of the 80's and it still is a monster today! :thumbsup:

Porkchop2 likes this.