1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Older Peavey cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klejst, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Been thinking about the older Peavey cabs, more specifically the 2x15's from the 70's/80's (perhaps 90's?) and the speakers in them. Generally asking, Black Widows or Scorpions (or other if there was some)?

I do know these cabs are heavy but were built very solid. They can output big sound, get loud and sound pretty decent. They can be found from time to time for around $200 or less.

I've been on the fence about picking one up and pairing it with a older of roughly the same 70's/80's era Peavey bass amp and making a "vintage" rig for cheap.

Phud, Giffro, shadven and 1 other person like this.
  2. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Just get 4 and start a doom band

oZZma, srayb, drumvsbass and 10 others like this.
  3. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    I know it's a combo but I've got a 1975 TNT 150 with a 15", I don't know which speaker it is though, I'll have to have a look

getbent likes this.
  4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Unnamed, Black Widow, or Scorpions depending on when they were made and what the dealer ordered. When I was a dealer, the same cabinets were generally available with any of the three choices. Scorpions or BW ones had an extra name badge at the lower edge of the grill cloth with a "BW" or a Scorpio logo. But, lots of cabinets would have speakers changed over the years, so visual inspection is the only sure way to tell. BW had round cast frames, Scorpions had squared off cast frames, the regular ones were stamped round frames.

My personal preference was the Scorpion 1×15 cabinet, the only 15" I ever really liked.

bigtone23, Aqualung60, Giffro and 3 others like this.
  5. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Of course unless you open it up you won't know for sure if speakers got replaced. I knew about BW or Scorpion name plates but had also read in my research that a good way to tell (from factory) if they were Black Widows or Scorpions was the Scorpion speakers frames were generally easy to see because the silver metal of the frame could be seen through the cloth as well. Also like JTE mentioned on the top, bottom, left and right of the frame it was straight edge and not rounded all way around with no massively visible frame metal for BW's. Of course with no visual frame and no name plate (unless it fell off or was removed) I assume then it could be any unnamed speaker either from Peavey's factory or third party. You'd have to open it up to see.

Basically I have found one of each kind of 2x15 Peavey cab from I'm guessing the 70's or 80's respectfully. I might pull the trigger on one of them but want to get some more research/feedback to make the best possible choice I suppose. Both cabs are unfortunately out of state/area but are below $200.

1. One has the BW tag, shows the signs of round frames, silver speaker caps (center), triangular port hole but no casters but in great condition.

2. The second, no name tag but has the visual silver square frame indicators of Scorpions, black speaker caps, square port hole, is in good condition and has casters.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  6. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nothing *wrong* with these old cabinets, other than size and weight. They were solidly built. I used one, driving it with a matching Peavey head and then a 50-watt Bassman from 1964. The Bassman head was better because it never failed and it never did that solid-state clipping thing. The speakers date to a time when 200 watts was a lot of power, and the best way to get loud was efficient speakers with lots of cone area. Me, I'm happy that I can now get better and louder sound from a lightweight high-power head and a cabinet with 12" neodymium speaker.

srayb and Giffro like this.
  7. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I use a Mesa PowerHouse 2x12 right now as my main rig cab, I know what you mean about the 12's!

8. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I salute your Mesa-for-serious and Peavey-for-fun inclination. In my case, the Mesa’s the heavier setup (Buster 1x15” combo vs. Mark IV & 1x15” Scorpion-loaded cab), but they’re both fun.

9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    The newer (90's???) BW 15's did not have the silver dust cap. Essentially they look like the lower priced, stock speakers with no upgrade. The originals did have the silver dust cap, but if you find a cab that does not, you still need to look at the speaker to see if it was the cheaper, stock speaker or the newer BW. Lots of difference in sound.

10. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Bought about 1990 and still gigging with it using a Peavey MKIV head. The cab is marked on the rear as an 1820 cab. 1x18" Black Widow driver and 2x10" Scorpions. Best rig Ive used in more than 45 years of gigging although very heavy at 122 pounds in weight. Takes 2 to carry without back injury lol I have been questioned here on TB as to the cab being an 1810 cab but it is clearly marked 1820 Enclosure on the rear. The front grille is held on around it with very strong industrial Velcro strips and need to be levered away from the cab body using a thin bladed screwdriver then edged away carefully from the cab so as to remove and gain access to the speaker mounting bolts.
    edit. From memory those 2 Scorpions were in a separately sealed speaker compartment behind the front baffle board. Triangular front ports are at the bottom of the cab as well..
    PeaveyMK4Amp Rick4003 MatonFL.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    jazzbass_5, xroads64, srayb and 11 others like this.
  11. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    oh man @Giffro that rig is so classic!!
    I had one of those back in the day, so great!!!
    not even sure what happened to that cabinet, I don't even think it was really mine, I was borrowing it.
    Eventually got one of the 215 cabs, and that thing was great! nice and loud, plenty of LOUD AF!

I think that still is one of the best punk rock rigs, because it will always work and be LOUD AF !!!

Giffro likes this.
  12. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Casters are your friend. I have a 412f I am using for highs in a biamp setup:
    20190502_155538.jpg

13. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I always was intrigued by the 1820 and 1516 cabs as well. The two I am looking at appear to be 70's or 80's then 2x15 cabs. One does have the BW name plate and the speakers with the silver dust cone like shown on Giffo's 18" speaker, the other has Scorpions as mentioned above. The third cab which was the cheapest price was sold but may of been one of those 90's "cheaper" cabs.

The BW cab does not have casters, but they can be bought at my local hardware store and put on.

Giffro likes this.
  14. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Here's a better idea. Traynor2.jpg

REMBO, REV, Monterey Bay-ss and 5 others like this.
  15. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    BW....If ya can lift and move them.

I think they're great cabs, but after 56 years of moving gear, I'm neo all the way.

Giffro, MobileHolmes and xbud like this.
  16. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Their deep 215 cab with Black Widows is what I'd be looking for...

fhm555, Giffro and BasturdBlaster like this.
  17. I saw an old Peavey 2x12/1x15 for sale locally, but can’t even find a pic online.

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Been there, done that.
    Yes, it is even more glorious than you imagine!

Agreed, I always preferred the 215D BW cabs.

opivy3056, Giffro and BamaBird like this.
  19. Ive not done the Cabinet--- but me like this
    tko1.jpg
    not in shot -- T-40-- Peavey Unity Bass-- and a gray Foundation bass as well.
    I am a Peavey FAN

20. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Still have my MkIV, bought it new in 1983, if that amp could talk I'd have to shoot it.
    I ran a tri-amped rig that had 2 - 1516s (your cabs little brother) on top of 2 1x18 BW cabs. I still have one of the 1x18s.
    That was a fun rig!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021