Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Older Peavey heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kilian., Sep 27, 2005.

1. When I started my bassplaying.. it was in a band (after being a guitarist for some time) 1,5 years ago on a Peavey Mark IV with 2 15" cabinets underneath. I love that setup.

Lately I'm in the market for a Peavey Mark IV, but I've read something about the firebass/nitrobass heads and the only Peavey amps floating by on the bay are Peavey Mark III amps.. I like their tone (the Mark IV amps), but I don't know how the others sound? Are all the older amps 'the same' in tone or do they have quite some differences?

So basically:
    - wait for the Mark IV, that's what I like.
    - get another older Peavey head, it doesn't really matter
    - get a firebass/nitrobass.. they're like the same.

I have a jazz bass (dimarzio model J pickups) and a sansamp BDDI. I am searching for a bit warm, growly and still 'good to hear in rock' tone. With quite a bass/fundament.

Anyone?

(this is my first thread, if it is against the rules.. sorry)

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you like the Mark IV wait for one; they should pop up periodically. They also made a Mark VI and Mark VIII I thought in that series (similar guts, more power). It's nice when you can find something you like that doesn't cost too much.

3. Yep, the later ones don't come up as often but they are good too.

I've got the predecessor to the Mark series: the Series 400 model called "the Bass" (version b)...It still works well but it's only rated 210 watts into 2 ohms. At 4 ohms it's roughly 140 watts if my memory is right. (The later Mark series will give 200 watts or more into 4 ohms). These models can be had for less than $100.

My version sounds great and is plenty loud unless you're in a metal band, then it breaks up. When you see these Series 400 models on Ebay, look for a Master Volume knob on the right side and a Slope knob under the Master Volume knob--that's the layout for the last (version b) of this series. It's preferable because it's got 2 footswitchable channels, and lots of flexibility when choosing between these channels. Plus fuzz and distortion built in--both switchable also.

4. OK thanks guys!

I think I will look for a Mark IV or higher, they don't pop up so regular here in Holland. I've found a Mark III deal, but it has less power and I'm not too sure if it uses the same pre-amp? :eyebrow: I basically want the same tone as the Mark IV..

Right now I have an Peavey Century 200 bass head with a weird 8 ohm 15" speaker underneath it. This one goes loud and it can (just, only just) keep up with the band (2 guitarists and a drummer). It pushes out 100 watt at 4 ohm. I don't really like the tone out of that one though.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IIRC, the mark 3 is the same power section as the mark 4 head (160 @ 8, 210 @ 4, aqnd 300 @ 2 ohms)
    the preamp is a bit different in options, but it essentially sounds the same.

i miss my mark 4, but i'd use a mark 3. IMO, the older heads are more reliable and have that old peavey "mojo"

6. ^^Can you say which things are different from the Mark IV head? The only difference I can notice right away is that the Mark III has no 'bright switch', but it does have a switch to toggle the compressor on and off.

I love the old peavey sound.. more then I love the sound of todays amp (and they are very expensive around here, the new amps)

7. Hmmm, here in Nijmegen I already saw three of em for sale. Now there are only 2 (for I have one).

8. You've got a PM :smug: