1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Older people acting like there more mature.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Jan 24, 2012.

1. :) if you wanna read it go find where its quoted.

2. *they're

;)

3. Good on you for taking care of business but maturity = having money? Does not compute...

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Your post does not come off as if it were written by someone with a high level of maturity.

I'm not trying to insult you, really, but your reaction to basically everything youve used as an example comes off as immature.
    Now, thats not to say that someone older than you is more mature. Age does not equal maturity. Age is often correlated with maturity, though, most likely because maturity comes from experience, and it is often assumed that someone older has experienced more, only thats not always the case.

Take for example, your lowballer anecdote. The mature response, from you, would be to simply ignore the person suggesting the low offer. Your snide remarks are not going to deter that person from lowballing someone else.

5. Yeah and what Matticus said....you'll learn when you're older, son :)

BTW...lowballing is all a part of the game, whether your ad says "firm" or not. I personally find it distasteful, but after a while you'll become calloused to it.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Your thrifty habits do not alone make you mature. I'm not really sure if you're mad about being lowballed or mad because you think people think they are more mature than you.

-Mike

7. ...nor are they going to up their offer after being called a douche...

8. Yeah I read your post correctly - I was referring to this

And don't think of old dogs ragging on you as "racism," think of it as more of an initiation rite.

9. Settle down junior ;)!

Just messing with ya. Look, I know it can be frustrating. When I was your age I felt exactly the same way. The thing you need to keep in mind is that the stereotype of the "young punk" exists for a reason. Most of us older guys would say that we ourselves were once young punks. In addition I'm sure you would agree that many of your peers do not have it together, act irrationally and in general fit the stereotype.

It seems you have accomplished quite a bit and have reason to be proud. If you know this fact yourself, don't worry about what those around you think. Especially those who are too ignorant to give you a fair shot based on your looks.

Look at the positive, if you do something stupid you will likely be forgiven as it's chalked up to the ignorance of youth. And hey, you're young! Live it up and reap the rewards. I for one would love to be able to act a little less mature and get away with it. You'll miss it when it's gone.

10. There are many factors that make a person mature or immature - buying into the great American Consumerism may or may not be one of them. Depends on the person; everyone has their own flaws, after all. It ain't that simple. Also, how do you know they are spending more than they earn? How do you know the guy didn't have a "more bills" check, and a "more fun" check every month?

One more thing:

Someone lowballing you by 25% when you clearly state "firm" is trying to spend as little money as possible. You will see that a lot...in time, you will learn to say "Nope, firm" and ignore it from then on.

The fact is, a lot of people say they have a firm price only to soften their stance after a little while. Cheapo buyers know this...

11. "inmature"? :scowl:

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    So somebody tried to lowball you on a bass.

How does this have anything to do with maturity or immaturity?

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    That's not immature, that's irresponsible.

The very fact you bothered to post your beef in such detail comes across as a bit of a rant, but that's fine, we've all done it. Except us old timers who didn't have the interwebz don't have to worry about our petty rants of our youth being immortalised for the world to see. You'd blow off steam with your mates and that was that.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That 3.5 excluded English class, right? (Yes, I'm just being an old grump, and I really don't mind your mistakes). Bookmark this thread, and reread in ten years. You'll be horrified.

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No, it really doesnt. Its called haggling, and people who are trying to be thrifty, or maybe save money (like a responsible mature person) are prone to it. It doesnt speak towards any level of maturity. But, you know what does? Calling someone a name because they tried to haggle with you. A mature person would either a)not respond to the low ball offer, or b)respond in a mature manner. Rather than calling them a douche for trying to save money, you could simply tell them something along the lines of "Im sorry, but I cannot accept such a significantly lower price than the offer I stated as firm". If you want to maturely vent your annoyance (which is what youre doing by calling them a douche, albeit immaturely) you can state "I am insulted by your offer of 25% less than the price I stated". Name calling is immature.

Are you really that privvy to the finances of the people in which you are dealing with?

16. LMAO +1!!

My child, again I wanna say good on you for being so responsible with your time and money at such a young age. But half a page in, and this thread is already chock full of fodder for making fun of the young folks

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I think it qualifies more as "typical CL buyer" than "immature". That said, these things are not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore, income level and car value have ZERO to do with maturity. I make decent money and drive a $40k+ vehicle. I'm notoriously immature...just ask my wife.

;)

18. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In regards to looking back 10 years later, he probably meant something beyond just the spelling and grammar mistakes.

19. I love the whole TB piling on effect and too post something in off topic really gets this.

The fact is a guy offered me 25% less on a item clearly marked as firm because he ddint like the color , then called me immature.

I will leave this to the hyenas.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont think it was you denying his offer that sparked him to call you immature so much as it was your way with words.