Older, rear ported Avatars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Jul 26, 2005.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Anyone have comments about this combination (112 + 115), or just on the 112? These are the older, smaller rear ported models. Are they super deep, or midrangy and punchy, or...??
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've got 4 Avatars in total these days, 2 of the B112s and 2 of the SB112s. I find the B112s to be a touch louder (more efficient?) with more mids than the SB112s. The SB112s seem to have a bit more low end but the B112s do just fine for me (an EADG 4-stringer with occasional octaver usage). I tend to use 1 or 2 of the B112s for indoor things and a B112 and SB112 for outdoor things (I used both B112s and SB112s for my last outdoor even but that was because I could, not because I needed to).

I had a B115 for a while and while I can't remember exactly what I thought of it I did sell it and get a second B112 to replace it so I know I liked the B112 better (but unfortunately can't give you any particular reason why).
  3. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I was corresponding with a TBer here to buy his B210 rear ported cab for a pretty good price. I had just won a B212 on the bay and wanted a 210 for the top. The 212 is a great stand alone, but the one room I mainly wanted a 210 to place on top of was an icehouse setting with the garage type doors open directly behind the stage. I was concerned that the rear ported cab would not meet my needs, so I passed. Recently another TBer had a newer front ported cab for sale and I snagged it. The B210 on top of the B212 cab sounds great in that icehouse and at outdoor gigs, no PA support for me ever. But now I'm itchin to try another 212 on top of my B212, just cause, like all of us here, I'm gassing for it. I can't say how the older rear ported cab comepares but if you get a good price on it and you don't have to deal with my conditions you should be OK. Oh, and the older rear ported did not have a speakon connection. Which is something I am using exclusively now. Just my .02.
    Hey craigb, how's it going man? Later all. ernie.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I find the newer SB112 to be plenty deep. It take everything a thunderfunk and reverend 5 string can throw at it...

If it weren't for the barfy horn, it would be a great Double Bass cab...