1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Older Rumble 25 headphones noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Himedia, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Himedia

Himedia

Jun 6, 2018
    Hi, I bought a used amp, Fender Rumble 25, its the older model without ovedrive or clarity features.
    I didn't expect too much but when I have headphones in, even without anything else plugged in, I get a background noise. It's the kind of noise we used to get from listening to cassette tapes but this one is quite loud. I bugs me as I feel like I can't hear all the frequencies clearly.
    Is this normal for these amps?
    I'm not sure when it was made but I know it looks different than the new ones.
    I'd appreciate any information you can give me
    Thanks guys

Also, plugging in the headphones makes them clip I thinks it's such a loud pop sound even with the volume levels down

2. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    The previous model Rumble 25 was produced between 2003 and 2010. So, yours could be from 8 to 15 years old.

You might get more specific response in the Fender Rumble Club thread, where there is most likely another owner of an older model 25.

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I'd suppose it has a issue.

Be easy to inspect the headphone jack connections to the board. Might need touchup.

Likewise it's possible the jack wasn't used much and is dirty. Also likely the internal switching mechanism is corroded. the speaker connection goes through the headphone jack.

Alot varibles. Believe that's a old TDA chip amp in there. Chips fine. Just could be oscillating if the output is boogered up from jack connections/ corrosion. I don't think it has a buffered headphone out. It's just resistor network coming off the amp chip.

Or the opposite. If jack was used often. Contact pads might be slightly bent not making complete connection/ or complete disconnection.

4. Himedia

Himedia

Jun 6, 2018
    Thanks for your replies guys, I didn't know about the Rumble thread but should've looked harder I guess.

I don't see any corrosion anywhere on this amp, seems it was kept inside fairly dry conditions, and I get the headphones loud popping when plugging into the 1/4" to 3.5 headphone adapter, as well as plugging in the aux cord. It's like the aux, or "cd input" is maxed out in volume and there's no output control except the volume on my phone.

The hissing cassette tape kind of noise is there even when there's nothing plugged in except headphones. I don't notice any noise when it's coming out of the speaker alone. The eq knobs add more noise when hi frequencies are turned up and it decreases when they are turned down, but is still there in my headphones.

One important thing I forgot to mention is the house I have it in has some electrical wiring issues, I suspect. I plugged in a Irig Pro I/O and I get noise again when running from power adaptor and no noise when running on batteries. I actually thought I got a faulty power adapter before, but now I think it's something to do with the ground on this particular house' outlets. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there anything I can do? I've seen filter adaptors being sold for recording purposes for issues like this. I feel confused and I'm not sure what's the cause until I bring the amp to another house I guess. Does anyone know how to go about fixing the house wiring so it doesn't introduce this noise into sensitive audio equipment ? Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018