Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Older Steinberger XQ5 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Dec 4, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I checked on steinbergerworld.com and found some info, but I figured it best to ask here...

I wish I had pics, but just close your eyes and picture: Steinberger XQ5, black paint (chipped a bit), graphite neck, spacing of a Warwick (about 17mm), played a lot, all works fine, but worn a bit.

What's the reputation of this bass?
    When were they made?
    Is it a reliable piece?
    What are they worth (in any condition)?
    Are the new XQ-25's much better?

Thanks for any help (and pics).

2. Ned Steinberger is one of the best designers around. The bass in question was one of a line with Kevlar necks (to prevent the neck from bowing). A lot of people used the XL-2's in the 80's (the ones with the rectangular body). Curt Smith from Tears for Fears, Michael Anthony from Van Halen and Don Was from Was Not Was come to mind.

The bass was probably made some time during the late 1980's.

Ned then sold out to Gibson, and they stopped making the basses in the US. I know you can get the new ones at musicyo.com. They now offer US made ones. I haven't seen or heard any of them, but it looks like they are selling as they are out of stock. It appears Gibson underestimated the demand.

If your bass is US made, which I believe it is, it's probably worth $500-$1000 depending upon the condition.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd say it's worth $350 to $550, but I'm cheap...

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Has anyone seen these in local shops or on ebay? How much are they there? I checked ebay and they didn't have anything even close to that ending recently.

It was made in NY and the serial # is N118** which from what I checked was like 90 or 91.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You may want to try floating the question over on the Steinberger World forum. Values on the XQ series don't seem to be as high as for other Steinberger models, and used bass prices seem a bit depressed right now IMO.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I did ask them, so far I haven't gotten much response.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The XQ5 that I have, is a Gibson made model, with 3 band eq and basslines pickups and electronics, I picked it up for $600 about a year and a half ago and wouldn't pay more than that for an XQ, but that's me. I had an older model XQ4 which had good sound but the bridge claws were very fragile though you can buy replacement parts for them now from MusicYo.com.

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Wow... $600 is a great price. The one in question is pretty beat and they want $800, but that ain't happening.

How does the Q that you have sound and feel? How do the Duncans compare to the EMGs?I am a graphite fan and just love the snap of Steinbergers, Moduli, etc. If I could find a deal like you did, I wouldn't even be questioning the decision

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    So I shouldn't mention that I got my XM2A for $375, right? :D

Search, and good deals will be found...