older SWR Redhead, how loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dexterward, Oct 18, 2005.

1. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry if this kinda thing gets asked often, but I could really use the advice of some of the experienced members of this forum.....

I'm looking for a portable combo loud enough to play with other musicians in a rock, or punk setting and eventually play small shows with. I'd like something fairly loud, and possibly expandable...

I can get an old model redhead for around 600.
    or I could get a GK backline 210 combo for 4 something (people seem to say good things about the backline 600 head)
    or I could get the SWR workingmans 210 for a little under 600 from guitar center......

yeah my budget is around 700 bucks, and i'm looking for something fairly portable/compact (small apartment, city living)

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've been going crazy for the past few days reading everything i can in the forum archives about this kind of thing, and finally decided to break down and start a thread..
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Not as loud as something that weighs that much should be. IMHO of course ;) I think it would be lacking for punk.
  3. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of...... does anyone know if either of the other two combos would cut the mustard, with or without an additional cabinet?
  4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I have the old Redhead and it's my favorite of the 3 you mention.

Maybe, just maybe with a second cab it could hang with a punk band. Not likely.

The concept of portable bass amp and punk band is just not working for me ;)
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Check out a used Eden Metro. It has more power than a redhead, and the tone of the eden speakers cuts through better. It'll do OK on its own, especially if you put it close to ear level. Later if you feel like hauling an extra cab add a D-115XLT as an exension speaker and it'll cut any gig out there. The 115 is probably lighter than the combo is.
  6. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, at this point, I'm leaning towards the Backline 210 combo, and with the extra money, maybe get an extra cab to get the wattage up to 300, if I need it. The workingmans 210c has a max of 400 watts, but from what i've read, people don't seem to like the head that's in it (4004 i think)....
  7. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't think a Redhead will be loud enough, even with an extra speaker added. At least, mine wasn't. Still, it's a great amp to have if you're doing the stuff it was designed for. If you're going for the GK Backline rig, maybe a 4-10 cabinet and separate head would do it for you.
  8. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    What would the volume difference be between 1 4 ohm 410 cab and an 8ohm 210 + an 8 ohm 15?

If I did It that way,I could
    use the 210 for practicing, and add the 15 if I ever did a show or anything.
  9. 210+115 should be louder than a 410.
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    And have more lows and an overall thicker bottom end. Some of the "specs" say otherwise, but I've done the experiment and its quite true.
  11. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    great, thanks for the help guys. I'm finally feeling a little more confident that I'm making the right decision (at least for the moment...)
  12. I don't think anybody in this thread has said or asked if this is the oldest model Redhead, the 240 watt version, or the Super Redhead, the 350 watt version.

I have a Rabe-era late 90's Super and I've never had any problem with lack of volume, in any situation I've used it. It CUTS.

Although I've never played in a current-era rock band.. if you are doing that kind of gig, then you need to go to the power amp setup, or tell people to turn down.

Otherwise, the Super cuts the gigs. No question.
  13. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, it was an original redhead... But like I was saying, at this point I'm probably gonna get the Backline 600 head , or the 210 combo of the same head, and a 15 inch extension cab for around the same money I would have spent on the used redhead (around 600 bucks) I'm sure the backline doesn't sound as nice as the redhead, but it'll be cheaper, and maybe more portable/lighter.
  14. A Super Redhead might do the trick with a 4ohm Goliath or Goliath Jr 2x10, however, the problem becomes that you have a combo that is more cumbersome than a non-combo rig of the same size/power. For the same price you can get a 2x10, 2x12, or 4x10 cabinet and a head that has more power and is actually more portable in alot of ways.

I had a Super Redhead for a couple of years. The Super Redhead is a really, really neat piece of gear, it has tons of great input/output options, sounds really good, and a bunch of really neat features. Of course, I soon found that I had to get an extension cabinet to have any shot at being heard/playing with a band, which pretty much killed the "neat powerful combo" use. :) I think that a Super Redhead with a 4ohm 2x10 cabinet would be the only possible combination that works, it would give you 450 watts into a 4x10 speaker set, and you'd still have all of the neat features and the ability to use "just the combo" if you wanted to.

15. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can probably get an Avatar (www.avatarspeakers.com) setup in the same price range that would meet your needs quite well.