1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Older than most, noob on bass signing in.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Shardik, May 24, 2011.

1. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Hi

I am a Norwegian in my 40ies. I used to play guitar in my teens and student days, and also had a brief encounter with the bass guitar at school. But for ten years I nearly never used any stringed instrument. When my brother in law returned my electric guitar after a long time loan, I picked up the pick again and now it has become my way of meditation.

And so it was that my old bass guitar curiosity was awakened. There are lots of things you can do on a bass that is just not possible on a guitar, and last week I picked up a used bass and started practicing. I guess playing that pentatonic blues scale on the guitar gave me a head start, because I feel the bass playing comes back quickly, even if I am far away from being any good yet.

I am here to learn, and when I have learned I also hope to be able to contribute.

And BTW, here is my new (used) bass:
    attachment.

Attached Files:

2. carrera mike

carrera mike

May 18, 2011
  3. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Thank you, mike. Actually, the Cort Artisan C4 Limited (2004) bass is far from expensive (some would say cheap), but I love special wood structures, and when I got around to putting on new strings, did a full truss rod+intonation+saddle height setup, it seems to me like its a lot of thump, pop, boom and bang for the buck. The wenge neck on this limited edition has a nice, smooth, non-sticky surface that makes moving the left hand easy and fast.

I haven't gotten around to buying a bass amp, so I don't know what may truly live in the bass, sound wise, but it seems like being able to switch between passive circuits and active EQ, combined with a blend pot for the pickups gives me lots of tonality to choose from. :) I have tested it using a Vox amPlug an da pair of headphones, and I like what I hear.

(Had my virtual hands on a used Roland Cube 30 Bass, but the seller bailed on me. Guess he got a quick sale to a local guy. So I'll have to keep on looking)

4. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Welcome to Talkbass! very nice looking bass. There's a lot to be learned around here, and feel free to contribute at any time. :)

5. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Thank you. I am currently learning, but have som experience/skill/knowledge from related areas, and I will post and discuss when I think I have something of value to others.