1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oldest (earliest) production Ernie ball Musicman Sterling on record?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by droskobass, Feb 12, 2013.

1. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Ok so I've been loving my Feb '98 Sterling for 15 years now, so I decided to get a second, and I wanted to get an even older one. After trying my friend's 1994 I figured an early '94 or 1993 would be the way to go. so I checked kijiji and found one locally that according to the serial number was a 1993!

After buying it and popping off the neck (those screws were TIGHT!) to my delight i found what I believe is the earliest documented neck date for a production (i.e. non prototype) Sterling: June 9, 1993.

Any other "oldie" Sterlings out there?

8469331994_3f6933b00d_b.

8468218603_333e1a5a8f_b.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93146965@N07/8469331994/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93146965@N07/8468218603/in/photostream/

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I used to have a 94. Birdseye maple neck and larger bridge. Played sooooo smooth.

3. You ought to post pics of your early Sterling on the Musicman forum. That does sound like an early one - there's also a thread to give the official DOB from the Musicman database (it's the date the instrument left set up at the factory - i.e assembled AFAIK).

4. The Sterling is a totally underrated bass. Love em!

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I bought mine new in '94 and it's one of the best playing basses I've ever had period. It originally had an all maple bird'seye neck that had a wicked dead spot so, through a MM dealer, I was able to send it back and buy a replacement (it was out of warranty). This time I went with a rosewood board and it's one of the nicest ones I've seen.

I did change out the pickup and pre to a Lane Poor MM (bought new from Lane) and an OBP-3. No regrets.

6. Johnnywad

Johnnywad

Jan 20, 2013
    Sorry this is off topic a little. Is there a MM club here on TB. I just purchased a Sterling.

7. I've wondered about the age of my Sterling. I'm 66 and it seems like I've had it for at least 20 years but could be mistaken. It has the older, larger bridge - mutes are long gone - and both the tuners and neck plate have Music Man written on them, while the decal reads Ernie Ball MusicMan Sterling.

The s/n is on the bridge and hard to read so next time I restring it I'll check. Anybody know what the age of this might be?

8. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    with the serial i can give you an approximation, there is a date on a sticker in the control cavity, and also in the neck pocket. The neck screws a re very very tight and it's hard to get the neck back on after words... so proceed with caution..

I believe mine is the oldest sterling on record...

9. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    ok ttt pics finally up there!

10. I did pull the neck and learned the bass was produced January of 1995. I'll be listing it for sale probably later today.