oldies radio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabe, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I recently started listening to oldies radio stations quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's just a thing with our local stations, but they seem to ignore some very important artists entirely. Even though some of these groups did have some top 40 songs (at least I think they did). For example, I have never heard a Peter, Paul & Mary song, and the only Bob Dylan song I ever hear is a very occasional Like A Rolling Stone. I can understand the reasons for not playing certain improtant songs, I don't begrudge them for not playing Alice's Restaurant because they really can't play many 20 minute songs.

Maybe these songs weren't really all that popular in their time, although my father says that there were many songs he remembers listening to at college that don't get played anymore.

Does anyone know why this is, or if I have a wrong view of oldies music (i.g. there was more than the Beatles and Stones)?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Given the choices for the early a.m. commute...I will usually select our Oldies' station.
    FWIW, I don't heard too much Dylan or PP&M...thank you, God.

Our station does play a lotta Motown; my gripe is this-
    It's the same 20-25 Motown tunes that everybody has already heard 1000+ times.

Overall, it's a decent station-
    They have played "Scorpio"(ONCE). ;)
    I've also heard the Average White Band, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Wild Cherry, The Eagles, James Gang, "Shaft", etc...'70s "oldies", I guess.

I wouldn't mind hearing "The Name Game" played.

Something I like about listening to the Oldies' station-
    I was very young when most of their playlist was considered "hip" or Top-40. IMO, it's cool hearing these songs after a few years of attempting to be a musician.
    Tunes like "Chick-A-Boom", "Grazin' In The Grass", "I Gotcha", & "Backfield In Motion" have some very nice rhythm section stuff happenin'(nice R&B-ish bass lines, too).
    ...and Three Dog Night had a bassist obviously influenced by Motown/Jamerson.