Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oldies

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassic83, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Anyone remember some of the following bands?

Badfinger
    Orleans
    Pablo Cruise
    Ace

Just wondering, I was flipping through the dial and heard songs from them, brought back memories...

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I remember them.

Badfinger was a McCartney vehicle...sorta. I never played anything by them in any band.

Orleans-
    I have played "Dance With Me"(almost 'solo' bass in a Pop song).

Pablo Cruise-
    I have played "Whatcha Gonna Do"...very nice bass. I think their 2nd bassist, Bruce Day, died a couple years back.

Ace-
    I have played "How Long"...pretty cool tune.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I remember all of them, but Orleans.
    "Whatchu gonna do when she says, "Goodbye?"

While we're at it, how about Ambrosia and Gary's Gang?

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    OK, what about the band Redbone?

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Still The One"?
    I liked Ambrosia's 'jazzy' Pop stuff("Biggest Part Of Me", "I Keep Holding On", etc).
    I recently found some of my long-lost 45rpms...one of 'em was "Keep On Dancing" by Gary's Gang. Pretty inane stuff! ;)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Come & Get Your Love" is beginning to get some airplay on our Oldies station.
    I seem to recall seeing Potlatch over at my cousins' house...I never really checked it out, though.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ever play "Come and Get your Love"? It's a great bassline, but tricky. I remember "Still The One", but I never knew who did it.

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hmmm, OK, what about Sheriff?

I got the chance to meet Pat and Lolly Vega, founders of Redbone, after I had played with their second drummer. He had played me a cut from their never-released second album. There was a rift between the band and their label (sounds familiar) and they never released it. But the guy who introduced us walked away after we started talking, and I said "You're from Redbone, huh?" He said "yeah, I didn't know anyone remembered us.." at which point I started singing the chorus from "I Am Somebody", which really freaked him out. "Nobody knows that song! How do you know it? It's never been played, radio or live!!!" I just smiled, and let him wonder for a while. Later that nite, Lolly walked up to me and said "Pat says you know one of our more obscure songs. Which one?" and I obliged him again. He, too, freaked! I told him I knew one of their former members, and had heard it at his house. He laughed, and told me that for anyone to know one of their unreleased, unaired songs was the best compliment he could have had.

9. Badfinger Ruled!

They were much more than a McCartney vehicle, but the obvious Beatle connections didn't hurt. How can you go through an inclusive "classic hits" set without "No Matter What?" "Baby Blue" is also a killer track.

Their story is probably one of the ultimate f-jobs in the music industry. :scowl:

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I never played it.
    I heard it a couple weeks ago on our Oldies station & I recall hearing a part that made me go "Hmmm".

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Badfinger: Come And Get It was also a winner (penned by Macca). And Day After Day, too. I dig on Badfinger.

"Still the One" always makes me think of Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley. And Orleans are in the running for having one of the worst album covers of all time.....

That Ace tune is cool. I like Paul Carrack. Well, I like him with Squeeze. Mike and the Mechanics kinda suck. :D

13. Mostly I remember Day After Day, Come and Get It, and No Matter What.

The force behind the Absolute Worst Album Cover Ever:

[​IMG]

Really, how ghey can you get?!

Quite a tight little band, even if their songs sound fairly dated now.

Paul Carrack. Nuff said.

Rez rock at its finest.