Oliv D & G with which E & A?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Gregmak, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of giving my Oliv D & G another try, and leave my pure guts in the drawer for a while. I just don't know with which E & A I should combine them with.

At the moment I have these strings for E & A: Flexocor, Spirocore weich, Spirocore Solo, Chorda's.

I would want to keep the chorda's at the bottom but I think they might be too thick next to the Oliv's. My second choice are the spirocore weich's. From what I remember (it's been years) I didn't like the spirocore's arco sound. They were too scratchy and metallic sounding.

Or I could try and find a used EP weich set and use those for E & A.

Any help is welcome!
    Thanks,

Greg

2. neddyrow

neddyrow www.simmerinstew.com Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i am enjoying Evahs matched with my red-o-ray D and G - they are a "little darker" than plain guts

Oliv E and A were described here somewhere as "too thuddy" i found out why and that's why i went to the Evahs. i can see why you are looking elsewhere for the E and A.

3. I really liked Oliv D and G next to: Superflexibles, Spiro Weichs, Spiro Mittels and my favorite: Flexocor Stark E/Flexocor Mittel A

Fat bob and james condino like this.
  4. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Is the flexocor stark/mittel really different than the normal flexocor's I have? I just tried the chorda's A & E with the olivs on top. It's not bad, but the chorda's sound a little too fat at the bottom while the olivs sound more refined. I think I'm gonna put the spirocore A & E on for now.

5. If your flexocors are the Maroon ones then they're the same ones I'm talking about. Most likely the Mittels, the flex mitt E was very weak on my bass like many others had experienced. The stark or heavy gauge E fixed that.

I tried the Oliv E/A before (unfortunately not at the same time as the Oliv d/g). They sound more like gut than the D/G. I get what you say about the d and especially the g being more refined.

That being said however the Oliv e/a are powerhouse strings, really pump some air and have a huge low end.

To me though the E doesn't have enough pitch definition. I bet I'd like Olivs with a flex stark E but I just don't have the funds for that kind of experiment right now.

This is all pizz though, arco the Oliv E is good and I bet a full Oliv set would kill arco.

6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    My favorite is spirocore mediums, and i like them old next to the olivs. You may want to try evah mediums if you want something darker...or you could pick up the 3 year old set of spiro mediums I have for sale on here...;)

7. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Eva weich worked with Oliv on top.

8. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    I`d go with Evah or Spiro weichs.

9. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Thanks for the answers guys. I put on the Spirocore weichs (2 years old) for now. The pizz sound is good and balanced. The arco however doesn't sound good. The spiro's sound too metallic & scratchy as I was afraid of, next to the warm Olivs. I'm gonna try and pick up a used evah weich set somewhere.

I love pizz sound of the Oliv's but to be honest I am missing the plain gut gritty arco sound. I'm gonna keep these on for a while, but I'm sure I'll end up to the plain guts soon!

10. Flexocors would be the way to go IMHO.

Gregmak and SamuelHarris like this.
  11. What I like about Oliv d and g is how NOT gut they are. They really are in my opinion a great
    Hybrid between gut and steel.

Gregmak likes this.
  12. tww001

tww001 Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I know not everyone loves the Oliv E; in the practice room it's very thuddy but in the mix of playing with a band the punch and presence is great. I'm currently using a full set of Olivs on my carved flat back and couldn't be happier. I've also done the Oliv GD/ Evah AE before (my friend Joe has this setup and sounds great). I like the Oliv better on the bottom of my bass (the Evans were too midrangy on my bass). My friend Jordan has Oliv EA with unwrapped gut GD, and that's a great setup too.

neddyrow likes this.
  13. tww001

tww001 Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Not to mention the Olivs bow wonderfully!

14. I would also like to mention that the Oliv E has good definition through the pickup. And that acoustically it's more from the players perspective the lack of note definition. From others perspective it carries more.

The punch and low end is huge though. I tried pairing the Evah Weich E with the Oliv A and the low end was too much of a mismatch for me.

tww001 likes this.
  15. tww001

tww001 Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    YES! I agree completely.

I'll add that when I was mixing Oliv G/D with Evah A/E (also did Oliv G/D with Spirocore A/E) I had a lot tuning instability with the Oliv G and D. When I went to a full set of Olivs, I have had no tuning stability issues at all, even on long gigs with bad A/C or heating issues. Perhaps something to do with the mis-matched tension pulling on the bass asymmetrically?

threetone likes this.
  16. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Try Flexocor Deluxe A and E. You don't like them, I'll buy them as long as they're uncut.

17. I've wondered this too, my spiros actually go a tad out of tune when paired with wrapped guts yet when I have the full Spiro set they're as stable as a table.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    tww001 likes this.