1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oliv E with A, D and G Plain-Gut!!!

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by crybaby54, Sep 29, 2008.

1. crybaby54

crybaby54

Feb 17, 2006
    I play plain gut since 10years, but I´m not satisfied with the gut E string all the time...it´s loud enough, that´s not the problem....but it´s a fact, that the E string has a weak sound and not much note definition.
    Now I decide to buy a string, which has more note definition.
    In most slapper discussion forums people say, the Olive E ist the best E you can get with your gut strings...but very expensive.
    Are you agree that meaning????
    Does the string match with the gut strings in the matter of tension, playability, thickness and sound???

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
  3. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Lots of slappers are using the Olive E and I have not heard that they come unwrapped easily. It is always possible though, but to my knowledge there has not been alot of reports of the E string coming apart.

4. kevtexbass

kevtexbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Austin ,Texas
    Endorsing Artist:Reunion Blues, DR strings, Fender,Radial,Genz Benz.
    I tried Olives and found the tension to be way too high. The Eudoxa E and A are more pliable and better suited to slap playing. I think Charlie Hayden uses a similar setup, but lists Kaplan Golden Spiral for the D and G. I don't think Kaplan makes them anymore.

5. Were you using a plain gut or wrapped when you had a problem? Plain won't cut it on alot of wood basses and the wound gut is definately louder/punchier/more sustain.