1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oliv G&D; paired with ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Rather than derail the Oliv/Eudoxa thread any further, I thought I'd get a general concensus on what you all think would be a good pairing with Oliv on top, for mostly jazz pizz. I'm open to any suggestions. Sorry if I'm rehashing old territory.

2. Marcus, I have paired the Olives on a 7/8's Chrissy flatback that I call "Puffdaddy" w. Helicores.An Orchestra on the A string and a hybrid on thr E. This is my no amp and old style bass ,as it is the loudest in my shop.You might try Spiro's , maybe an older set or Superflexes.Depends on what you are looking for in sound and feel on the low end.Beware the Olive D is thicker than the Helicore A.Very good match for this bass and my needs....

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    That's more or less what Rufus Reid suggested in his latest method book edition...eudoxas and helicore orchestras.

I always hear helicore orchestras give out a fat round pizz sound on basses

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yea. Whacked that behive with a stick.

Subscribe.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    So just to be redundant... how about Spiro Stark E with the Olivs? Will that sound ok? Opinions? I'm just addicted to the growl and don't wanna give it up. :)

6. I tried the orchestra E and it was alittle dead for this particular bass..The hybrid worked better on the E. Every bass is different as are players...

7. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I had a set up with Oliv G&D and Obligato E&A that worked well for me, it was balanced in both tone and tension.

8. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Pirastro Permanents.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i like the Flexocor A string next to the Olivs...the Flex E could be a little clearer for pizz though...I was thinking about trying a mittel spiro for the E but i'v got those animas on right now....

10. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Oh yeah I prefer the hybrids myself also. That's what I use too...entirely because it sustains longer. But I don't know anything about guts and was wondering if maybe a little deader-sounding metal string might complement the guts better?

It's all kinda strange to me though, cause acoustically I don't hear lots of bass sustain when I listen to others...especially combos. I only really notice it when listening to myself while I'm playing/practicing. But especially after hearing the Brian Bromberg's Youtube clip, where we were hearing the pickup, man I really notice that spiro sustain that makes them so much fun to work with.

I've read some gut gurus here talk about gut sustaining too...so pairing different strings based on notions such as sustain or brightness confuses me. :meh:

Anyway, I'm interested in trying the gut thing too

11. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I second that. I had Permanents E-D with an OLIV G for a while and it worked nicely.

The Permanents lose that growl more quickly than other strings, but I liked them and they tonally match the OLIVs well in my experience.

12. I'll just keep shouting from the roof top about the Oliv Obligato mix they sound pretty sweet. I have also seen people get good results with Heliocore Orchs and Olivs. The Anima Oliv mix was one I was thinking of too and may check it out. :bag:

13. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i have Animas and Olivs mixed because i wanted to give the animas a chance to let me know what they would sound like on my bass. they do sound good but i think i like the Oliv's better. i just couldn't take that Oliv G string off (i love that g string :D ).
    the Flex A string is one bad mother on my bass too, it seems more lively than the Perm A string i had on there too...
    so....Oliv and Anima aren't bad...but i'm gonna keep looking but i'm in no hurry...i think you can do better than anima as far as matching and having nice arco characteristics too.

14. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've never been happy mixing steel core strings and gut core strings, the timbre and feel are just too different for me. Also, when I play amplified the differences become even more apparent, the pickup responds differently to the gut and steel.
    Maybe other people don't expeience this but it's always been that way for me. So, I'd go with some sort of gut or synthetic core on the bottom to go with the Olivs. IMFO

15. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love to try them, but I just looked and saw that they are $70 for a G-string at Quinns. :eek: And they're relatively delicate and short lived :eyebrow: .

It'll have to wait for the lottery I'm scheduled to win sometime soon :meh: . (That reminds me - I must start doing my part and playing that lottery :p ).

Andy

16. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i don't think they are short lived.
    i think i remember Don saying he had some on his bass for like two years.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. If I try this, I'll probably snuffle around in the string drawer for an A & E, I know I've got Oblis, Velvets, Spiros, and lord knows what else in there. It also might be a good opportunity to give Permanents a go.

The "strings drawer" seems like an expensive albatross around one's neck sometimes..... but it is really nice to have a few options in there when you want to start combining things. At any rate, it seems to be an unavoidable phenomenon for anyone who's played for awhile.

18. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    hi - not sure if this helps but I have been really happy with spirocore orchestras for the E, A and D and then either an Olive or Eudoxa G string on top. I used to use the weichs but the tension became to flabby for me and I went back to the orchestras - I think that changing one string can have a positive effect on the over tension of the entire set-up which is why I love the Olives with the spiros. I do think you need a healthy break in period on the spiros until they mellow. oh and also, the olives and eudoxas have always lasted a good while for me- I think the trick is not to take them on and off your bass too much.

19. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    A colleague of mine uses this combination and applies mineral oil to the spiros to darken them, and to the olives to keep them from drying out.

20. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    A vote for Oliv G & D, Superflexible E & A.

I've used Obligatos, but I like the Supers better. They'll last a lot longer too.