1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oliv G?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bass Baron, Nov 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    I´m playing full set of EP:s and thinking of changing the G string to a Oliv G. I live in Finland and in the winter it gets REALLY dry.. How well you think it would last and how would i take care of it? Since it has the steel wrapping.

2. Hello from Denmark!
    I've had an Oliv G on my bass for a while without any problems. Don't know how big a difference it is from Finland, though.

3. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    Hello! Shouldn´t be a huge difference but how long have you had it on?

4. Actually on two different basses, in a year total. It was still doing fine when I changed it out for something else, (Flexocor Dlx) but as they say: "YMMV"

Bass Baron likes this.
  5. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I have been using an Olive G for more than two years with no issues, including slapping it a fair amount, but you need to pay attention to them more than usual and don't get too crazy. They can be fragile and your bridge should be in excellent working order so it does not cause any undue stresses. Watch out- if you like Olives, they can be an expensive string habit!

Bass Baron and Kaspar Vadsholt like this.
  6. Yes, your bridge and nut slots should wide enough to fit the thick Oliv G-string, and I would recommend putting some graphite from a pencil in the grooves before installation.

7. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    More than just the bridge width, you need to make sure that there are no sharp edges that the windings will catch on and regularly - how would I describe it- pull the string up off the bridge and then sort of roll all the windings so that there is no tendency to separate or clump up. The Olive G may well be one of the finest strings made for double bass, but you can't just slap them on and then treat them like a ten year old set of Spirocores. They also do not like to have the tension released; install them and then keep them in place. Not "gut like" as every other strings claim, but honest real gut feel and tone with a steel wrap that bows very very nice. If you are going for that type of sound and feel, Eudoxas are also worth checking out. They are different than Olives, maybee a little darker, but also a nice string. Call up Adrian at Pirastro and see if you can get a demo set or two. I have no affiliation with them other than using and liking many of their strings. Pirastro are great people to work with and go out of their way to encourage people to play more bass; my world as a bass player is better because of them.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  8. A luthier friend of mine came up with a neat bridge finishing trick: a drop of superglue in the bridge slot, with a dusting of graphite powder sprinkled in before the glue sets, shaped with a file and finished with more graphite.

The bridge on the bass I bought from him was great.

Jake deVilliers and Bass Baron like this.

9. Bass Baron: I live in Canada (Central Ontario) and have used an Oliv G. No special precautions and no problems. I also used an Oliv many years ago when I lived in Northern Ontario where it went down to minus 40 overnight on many occasions. Talk about a dry house! I had no problem with the Oliv G then either...but it was a different story with the Pirastro Pizzicato wrapped guts. The G and A strings both unravelled within days of each other during one winter.... despite a pail of water in my basement to help offset the dryness.

The Oliv G is by far the best G string I have ever used. The problem is that unless you have a similar gut string for a D, the Oliv outshines it. It really shows when you have a synthetic core string for a D. The difference may not be too obvious right away but becomes much more noticeable after a week or so.
    Since the summer, I have been using a Zyex medium..and now a light...for the G string next to Spiro Weichs. The sound match is much more even, although the tone of the Olive G was superior.

Bass Baron likes this.
  10. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    "Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Weich + Oliv Double Bass String Review"

i'm using A, D, G Oliv for a year and a half and love them. Mostly jazz, so I play with high action to accommodate pizz. they were going out of tune every 10 mins when I first put them on, on the video above you can tell that the string has gone out of tune during the recording. after several months tuning stability is significantly better (retune perhaps once per set)

in terms of humidity, I keep my apartment at about 40 - 45% and so bringing the bass always back to this level maintains the bass and string tone quite well. by "really dry" i am guessing you mean something around 29% humidity, which I would guess would lose the gut quality of the sound. i would in that case recommend staying with evah pirazzi (perhaps weich if you want more width in the string oscillations). keep in mind thats also the reason why Oliv's are quite difficult to play fast, they have a wide oscillation but decay non-linearly more so than steel strings. so your fingers will grab the string at different positions on each stroke.

Bass Baron likes this.
  11. Geoff sure makes that combo sound great!
    On my bass though, with Spiro Weichs, the Oliv dominated.
    I have tried EP Weichs but on my bass I found the tension too high and the sound too dark.

DC Bass likes this.
  12. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    Thanks a lot guys! Lots of great info!

Awesome! Good to know!

Okay good to know. And the dryness i have is usually under 20% but i use the dampit regurarly of course.

13. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    I´m mostly likely going to put the Oliv on my bass closer to spring and trying a used Anima g now.. you guys have any info on those?

14. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    i would not recommend the Oliv if you store your bass under 20%. thats extremely dry, and the gut tone will not be there. you should also consider the cost of the strings, and the benefit to your bass tone when stored at recommended humidity levels.

maybe you should find a location in your home where you can control the humidity (near a shower where windows remain closed). dampit is useless. i only heard about basses being damaged by it (drips on the bottom). try to measure the humidity change caused by it and let us know if you can measure anything.

Bass Baron likes this.
  15. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    Yes, i believe i´m going to store the string til spring. Any tips for that? Plastic bag? Thanks for the info man!

16. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Great video !

A lot of people make a big deal about tuning issues with any type of gut strings. That often puzzles me. As bass players we tend to get spoiled using strings like Spirocores that stay in tune all night while every one else in the band with strings checks their tuning each song and makes needed adjustments. I play uncoated natural gut strings all year long in North Carolina- in the summer, the rain, the winter, inside, and outside; sure they move move, but a $10 clip on tuner solves my problems!

17. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    a clip on tuner won't help if you realize mid-tune that your open notes are out of tune. but yeah, its not a reason for me to change from using the Olivs, just something that you will need to keep in mind if you decide to switch

18. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    Yeah that´s not a huge problem.. I´ll try em and determine if they´re worth their price for me.

19. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    My experience was quite opposite, on multiple basses I found Eudoxa wrapped gut strings brighter and growlier than Olivs. A bit easier on the hands, too.

20. I never had any major tuning problems with any Oliv after a few days. Once they settle down, the normal initial tuning when you pick up your bass is usually enough to get you through for a while. They do need tweaking, like most other strings, as you go along.... but it was never a problem for me.

lrhbass and Bass Baron like this.