1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oliv vs. Eudoxa for Arco solo playing

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jesse Dietschi, May 8, 2016.

1. I'm curious if anyone has experience comparing the Oliv and Eudoxa upper (G/D) strings for bowing/solo settings (orch tuning). I'm not doing any slap/rockabilly, and would use steel A/E strings for clarity. I'm playing on an early 20th century German bass with a well-balanced tone. Jazz pizz tone comparison would be a bonus!

2. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Both are lovely... Eudoxa are brighter and more lively, while Oliv are darker and take more pressure. I never tried them on the same bass, but they are fine strings.
    Mixing guts with steel strings will make your bass go out of tune unevenly though. Overnight, the guts might go a half step flat and the tailpiece will pull your E a half step sharp. It drove me nuts and I quit. I'm sure you would get used to it quickly though.

3. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    go for it! tuning issues lasted about 3 months for me. others claimed zero tuning issues period.

i am now using A - G Olivs and Spirocore C. absolutely love it.

Both Oliv and Eudoxa E didnt have enough sustain and tone thats needed for group settings.

4. Interesting thoughts. Is it fairly unanimous that Eudoxas are brighter than Olivs? I'd be using these for soloistic playing more than ensemble/orch so brighter is probably better for me.

5. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    the winding on the E strings is very different. The Olivs are silky smooth while the Eudoxa had an electric bass string feel. not sure if that also applies to the D and G strings.

hopefully others can point you to audio samples of wrapped-gut solo playing. in general i feel the response of gut strings is slower than steel strings

6. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think you are confusing Eudoxa with Chorda. Eudoxa have a smooth surface with a silver wrap, where Oliv is a chomesteel wrap. Both are modern strings with gut core as opposed to Chorda which is more of a period set.

In saying gut strings have a slower response than steel, do you mean with the bow, pizz or both?
    I am not a gut player myself, but my wife is a long time gut player. I will have to disagree with you. It depends a bit on what strings you are comparing of course, but guts can have way more punch and bite than any steel strings. The can speak with less weight and ring fully.

It looks like my opinion on Oliv, Eudoxa is pretty close to Lemur (I must have read their descriptions sometime before)
    Lemur music writes:
    • Oliv - Bass gut core string with chromesteel wrap on all strings. Oliv Bass has a dark, strong sound with big tonal volume. Used extensively for pizzicato play, they take high pressure on the bow. Medium tension. High C and Low B also available in Oliv.
    • Eudoxa - Bass gut core string with silver wrap on all strings. Euxoda Bass is the queen of jazz pizzicato strings offering brilliant tone and long sustain. Medium tension only. High C and Low B also available in Eudoxa.
    • Chorda - Bass gut core string with round wound silver wrap on the bottom two strings (A&E). the top two strings (G&D) have no wrap - they are plain gut. These are recomended for Baroque Play. Medium tension.

7. In my experience the Eudoxas were definitely much brighter than Olivs.
    However the Eudoxas are wrapped with silver instead of chromsteel and I found they had some kind of sticky feeling under the left hand. YMMV.

davpal and james condino like this.
  8. I know that Rinat Ibragimov uses Eudoxa solos, and Bozo Paradzik uses Gennsler strings, which I believe are also modern-style wrapped guts. I wouldn't use these for orchestra playing, but it seems like a lot of these high-octane soloists are using modern wrapped gut strings, and I'm curious as to why...

9. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The only way to really know if they will work for you is to try them on your bass; an expensive experiment. I found that both were very good strings with minor differences, but the Olive G won over the Eudoxa. I liked the sound of the Eudoxa, but the semi smooth finish drove me nuts. I will comfortably say that I had the best live sound on a big stage run into the PA system I have ever experienced with a full set of Eudoxas. All gut D strings seem to be lacking a bit and difficult to match. I use a mixture of gut D G and medium Spirocore E A for jazz and am able to play them outside in the rain in the summer in North Carolina with very little tuning issues; everyone else in the band checks their tuning almost every song, I never understand why some bass players think they should not have to....

10. SamuelHarris

SamuelHarris Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    I can't comment on the Eudoxas but I used Oliv D/G with Spiro Mitt E/A as well as as Spiro Mitts with Oliv G.

They had the warmest pizz sound I've ever gotten, they bowed beautifully. The tuning issues were typically minor but I did a run in a theater where the pit was really cold and the darn things just couldn't stay in tune.

If they had had zero tuning instabilities like on others basses my string search would have been over!

11. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I briefly had my bass set up with Oliv G, Eudoxa D, and Spiro Weichs on the bottom. For jazz, the pizz sound was huge, warm, and clear. Arco was deep and full sounding. All in all, one of the best sounds I've ever gotten out of my bass. But as others have mentioned, the silver winding on the Eudoxa eventually bothered me too much. The slight stickiness made it a little harder to play, tiring out my hands, and the extra friction threatened to blister my right hand if I played too hard. I have the same problem with copper-wound Velvets. I think some people don't experience the same issue with silver and copper windings, though.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021