1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Olive and Innovation 140b comparison?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by grunter, Mar 16, 2009.

1. grunter

grunter

May 1, 2005
    London, UK
    I am currently using Innovation 140b strings for both jazz and orchestral playing, and they're proving to be a great hybrid string. My old English bass definitely prefers the lower tension and flexibility of these strings - but maybe it would prefer Olives even more!
    How do 140bs compare to Olives for arco and pizz playing? Are they similar tension and volume?

Many thanks!

Max George likes this.
  2. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Hmm...nobody responded to this otherwise interesting question.

Max George likes this.
  3. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Don't rush us.

- Steve

stefaniw80401 and Sam Dingle like this.
  4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Apples vs oranges. The Olive G is one of the finest strings made, but the D is bit lacking. I like Eudoxas better on the lower end if we're talking true wrapped gut. Never been a fan of any of the Innovations; they all seem like a plastic compromise to me.....start the flame throwing.....

5. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Never tried any Olivs but I`ve understood that the lower strings are pretty thumpy, and especially the E. I was really close to ordering Oliv EA recently, but came to my senses as they would have been really unpractical in my playing / hauling system. Chris Wood sounds great with Spiro w E / Oliv ADG both pizz and arco. I tried Eudoxa EA under plain guts on my buddy`s 1/2 size laminate travel bass, those are glorious strings both in feel and tone. Higher tension than your average wound guts and more sustain than any wound gut string I`ve tried. I know some people prefer " Olidoxa " set with Eudoxa EA and Oliv DG. Tension and tonality match should be great on that set.

james condino likes this.