Olive for top wood??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Aug 19, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Has anybody seen Olive wood used for a top? Its because I saw some pieces made out of this wood last night at a cultural fair and its got a wicked figuring! I believe it could be splalted because the figurings were rather dark
  2. daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
  3. Some of Morch basses from Denmark are topped whith very nice Olive wood. Have a look there, ( be careful, however you might get hooked by GAS, as they are among the best).

Otherwise my bass teacher Bruno Chaza has built one of his own custom bass like that, very nice indeed.

As I know, Olive wood is traditionnaly used for nice furniture round Mediterranean see, but for luthery it is not that traditionnal.
    Best Regards
  4. se_jazman

Mar 2, 2004
    Here are two Fodera basses with Olive tops (not mine).
  5. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Yep, thats exactly it, just beautiful, how do you classify this wood tonally.
    Man, and i live in a country filled with Olive trees! :oops:
  6. Starmo

Jul 15, 2004
    Raanana, Israel
    Good luck finding one that big.
  7. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Yes, you are right, these trees are not large and are very irregular growing, but I believe you could find enough material for body wings.
  8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I believe Warwick offers Olive as a special order. At least that's what the brochure I have says.
  9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Wal has used it as well I believe
  10. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Check out this site: www.heinsguitars.nl
    I don't like the way the basses look, but on page two of the bassmodels, the model called 'nicky' has the whole body made of olive wood. But that should be really heavy.
  11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Wal uses a wood called "olive ash", which is a flame-figured ash variety. I've never seen a Wal with actual olive wood.