1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Olive Oil On a Rosewood Fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I read somewhere (probably TB) about someone using Olive Oil on a rosewood fingerboard.

pros / cons?

2. delicious if you added salt?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Yeah and basil will protect your frets.

4. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    It says somewhere on TB that food grade oils will rot or go sour as they are intended to cook with and not preserve. There are alot of oils out there with the specific purpose of being used on instruments. Not trying to be a jerk but why would you want to use olive oil and possibly gum up your bass?

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just curious bro... not actually going to do it.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    OXFORDSHIRE - UK
    I would imagine ( not being a scientist ) that the viscosity of oil used for cooking is way too thick and syrupy for wood duties.

If you look at the usual suspects - teak, tung, danish, lemon, - they are a lot thinner and someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt there some form of varnish in wood oils ??

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    There is varnish in some wood oil products such as Tru oil, but one can also get wood oils without the varnish.

Olive oil sounds like a bad idea -- unless you're looking for a way to add some funk to your playing ;)

8. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I use a product called Guitar Honey. I know at most GC's they will have Fender guitar care products. I know one is a fretboard conditioning oil. I woud say that would be your best and most easily obtainable bet. I have bought a few used basses and a few had some really dry fretboards. The board conditioner did wonders.

9. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    This is true - anything organic will eventually rot or turn rancid. You also would not want to use olive oil to preserver a cutting board in your kitchen for the same reason.

10. dominic

dominic

Aug 7, 2005
    you could try almond oil, i know that works for you're fingerboard

11. Almonds grow on a tree, pretty much like olives do. :rolleyes:

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    it is NOT safe to use olive oil: olive oil will reduce the cholesterol in your bass and it won't sound fat anymore. :eyebrow:

Loring likes this.
  13. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: What about chicken grease?

If it was good enough for Jaco .....

(j/k) :D

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I don't think the wood cares what kind of oil you use. Probably anything from motor oil to olive oil would work, as long as you wipe the excess of the board. However, those oils purposely formulated for this purpose are most likely preferable. I also use the guitar honey. It's great and lasts forever.

One trick I have been shown using organic oils is to break the brazil nuts in half and rub them on your string surfaces. Try it - its pretty slick. The fellow who showed me this was Bob Gladstone, who was principle bass in the Detroit Orchestra for many years. I've never noticed any "rot or turn rancid" issues.

15. Just asking, but would something like Old English furniture wipes work. They are for dusting furniture and other wood products and they have a little bit of lemon oil in them.
    I have an Ibanez SR500 which has the mahogany body. I wonder if I could use these wipes to clean it? They are for dusting wood, furniture etc..

16. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Very funny!!

17. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    a little white mineral oil would help

18. blackcrayon

blackcrayon

Feb 5, 2006
    You might want to try Fret Doctor http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

About 3 weeks ago I put some on my "dry" Ibanez guitar's fretboard except for the first fret so I could see the difference after a few weeks...

Olive oil will definitely go rancid and smell- I have to throw out my cooking oil periodically because of that, and that's when it's in a closed bottle :)

Attached Files:

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The best stuff I've used is boiled linseed oil. It dries pretty quickly, darkens the board a bit, and creates a thin hard film which protects the fretboard. I tried lemon oil but that dried out pretty fast in the very dry air here.

You can get it at art supply shops and at good hardware stores. Smells nice, too, like old furniture.

20. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I like clarinet bore oil. It's nice and thin, keeps the wood protected, has a nice shine to it, lasts a long time, and is designed for wood.