Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oliver amps? Any info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzbassman23, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Our guitarist, who, by the way, says I'm out of control with GAS, just picked up an Oliver B200 amp head in a pawn shop. Anyone know anything about this brand? Is this a bass head? TIA.

Dave

2. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    In case anyone cares, I did find out some info about the Oliver amp.Oliver Jespersen worked for Ampeg and was apparently responsible for the B15 design among others. In the late 60's when Ampeg began using transistors instead of tubes, he left the company in disgust and started his own. Operating out of NJ, he finally disbanded the company in the late 70's. According to one piece I read, Berklee practice rooms were all outfitted with Oliver amps at one point. My sources of info were a 1995 piece in Bass Player and a posting in TBL.

Anyway, when I got to rehearsal last night our guitarist had the Oliver set up with my practice cabinet, a Carvin 15" in an old Peavey TNT cabinet. I was late (I'd let them know in advance :) and by that time they were playing so loudly it was hard to tell anything on the fly. I brought it home with me, so I can give it a workout, and if anyone's interested, I'll report.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm interested. Please email me if you don't want to post here. Thanks! Jerry J