1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Olivia Newton John's Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Ok, I was born in 1969 and love everything 70's.
    I recently watched a clip of ONJ (Have you never been mellow) on The Midnight Special and came away with two thoughts:
    - ONJ might be the most beautiful woman of the 70's/80's
    - The song (which I teased my mom for liking is awesome)
    So I started doing some YouTube searches and found a bunch of clips from her "Physical Tour" in 82 and found that her touring bass player is awesome. His name is Robert "Pops" Popwell. Do yourself a favor and watch this clip. As hard as it is try to pay attention to the bass and listen to how it builds as the song goes on. Perfect pop bass playing.

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i love livvie
    great songwriting, great players on her albums.
    great voice.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That whole '82 band was top notch, Buzzy Feiten was also the guitarist in that band.
    Check out some the Crusaders 70's material if you want to hear more great Popwell.

4. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Man I miss the Midnight Special and Don Kirshners Rock Concert. Now we have American Idol. I think Devo was right all along.

5. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Yeah even the "light weight pop" of the 70's is practically Zeppelin compared to the crap music of today. By the way, Tom Scott was musical director for ONJ's band on the "Physical Tour" so she definitely had some heavyweights in her band.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I got to see Pops with Larry Carlton at a NAMM concert in the mid '80s. Wonderful player.

John