1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Olivs life span

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Francois Blais, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Hi.
    I've just ordered an Oliv D to go with the Oliv G I've put back on my EUB. (that string is the most singing, cleanest tone I ever heard)
    I'm concerned about their life span though.
    I also suppose it's better not to stock them, and order only when needed, so the strings are fresher?
    Do I need to worry about breakage?

TIA

2. David K might know the expected life span.
    I'll never know, because I don't have the patience.

Has anyone else had the experience of finally getting a date with an absolutely gorgeous girl, a real trophy, and then finding she needs so much attention and pampering that one day you ask yourself 'Why am I doing this?'

I go from my controlled humidity room to the hall, and the Olivs are sharp. I tune down, warm up, put the bass down for 15 minutes and they're a half tone sharp. Tune down, start rehearsing, they go flat. Tune up, continue. Go on a 15 minute break, they go a half tone sharp again. Madness. Beautiful, beautiful sound, but they drive me nuts. No more. Last night I put my Flexocors back on. This morning, they were still in tune.:)

3. I got a year out of my first set. They were ready to be changed after about 8 or 9 months (several hours a day jazz-pizz and arco), but I didn't have the bread, so I waited.

4. Dave,

How is the arco response on the Oliv's?
    Dark/bright, fast/slow etc.

Mark

5. dark sound/fast response (though it's been almost a year since I used Oliv A and E my recollection of those might be a little off)

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    This describes the problems I had with my Oliv D & G Eudoxa A & E combo, but only for the first two weeks. I keep my bass in my controlled humidity room, and when I go to my regular gig at the cigar bar at lower humidity, it is sharp. I leave itout of the case for about 15 minutes and retune. Then I proceed to play the first set, which is an hour and a half. I retune before the next set, and it may be a few cents off, but never more than that. As hard as I pull the string, it is no different than the days when I used spiros. After I retune for the second set, I usually don't have to retune for the last set.

The same is true in my orchestral use. When I pull them out of the case, they will be out of tune, but once I tune up, they stay very close. And oh my goodness, what a sound. You can actually bow the open G and not have it sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Monte