Olivs life span

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Francois Blais, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I've just ordered an Oliv D to go with the Oliv G I've put back on my EUB. (that string is the most singing, cleanest tone I ever heard)
    I'm concerned about their life span though.
    I also suppose it's better not to stock them, and order only when needed, so the strings are fresher?
    Do I need to worry about breakage?

2. David K might know the expected life span.
    I'll never know, because I don't have the patience.

Has anyone else had the experience of finally getting a date with an absolutely gorgeous girl, a real trophy, and then finding she needs so much attention and pampering that one day you ask yourself 'Why am I doing this?'

I go from my controlled humidity room to the hall, and the Olivs are sharp. I tune down, warm up, put the bass down for 15 minutes and they're a half tone sharp. Tune down, start rehearsing, they go flat. Tune up, continue. Go on a 15 minute break, they go a half tone sharp again. Madness. Beautiful, beautiful sound, but they drive me nuts. No more. Last night I put my Flexocors back on. This morning, they were still in tune.:)
  3. I got a year out of my first set. They were ready to be changed after about 8 or 9 months (several hours a day jazz-pizz and arco), but I didn't have the bread, so I waited.
  4. Dave,

How is the arco response on the Oliv's?
    Dark/bright, fast/slow etc.

5. dark sound/fast response (though it's been almost a year since I used Oliv A and E my recollection of those might be a little off)
  6. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    This describes the problems I had with my Oliv D & G Eudoxa A & E combo, but only for the first two weeks. I keep my bass in my controlled humidity room, and when I go to my regular gig at the cigar bar at lower humidity, it is sharp. I leave itout of the case for about 15 minutes and retune. Then I proceed to play the first set, which is an hour and a half. I retune before the next set, and it may be a few cents off, but never more than that. As hard as I pull the string, it is no different than the days when I used spiros. After I retune for the second set, I usually don't have to retune for the last set.

The same is true in my orchestral use. When I pull them out of the case, they will be out of tune, but once I tune up, they stay very close. And oh my goodness, what a sound. You can actually bow the open G and not have it sound like nails on a chalkboard.