Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Olivs on A and E for pizz

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Has anyone tried the Olivs on A and E for pizz?

On my last bass, I was at one time using Oliv G and D and Eudoxa A and E and then switched to Chorda G, Oliv D and A and Eudoxa E.

I just bought a new bass and set it up with a Lemur gut (Efrano) G, Oliv D, and Eudoxa A and E.

First off, I think the Chorda G is a better choice than the Efrano G. It has a better sound for both pizz and arco and is easier to play arco too. Regardless, it and the Oliv D work well but the Eudoxa A and E are a little flabby and lacking in punch. I'm thinking of trying the Olivs down there instead.

I know some people have said that the Oliv A and E are hopeless for pizz. The Oliv A worked well on my last bass so I feel pretty confident giving one another go. The Oliv E I'm not so sure about.

2. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I was using all Chordas, but switched to the Olive E and A. The tuning stability is better and they are more "user friendly". I think the Olive A is great, but I sometimes have a little trouble hearing the pitch of the E. I have considered trying a Eudoxa E for this reason. I still love the sound of the Chorda D and G .

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is the problem I thought the Olive E might have. That the clarity wouldn't be there. Still I think it is the sound that I am going for. Especially for ballads. I would be interested to hear what others think of the Olive E. My set should be coming in the middle of next week.

4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Eudoxa E worked well for me on my last bass but so far it's not as good on this bass. I think I need something with slightly higher tension. Every comment I've heard about the Oliv E for pizz was negative but then again some people also said they didn't like the Oliv A and it worked well for me on my last bass. As much as I hate the idea of a mixed set with gut and non-gut, I think I will have to go to an Oliv A and possibly a Dominant E.