1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP bass pots ..sizes to get??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gkman1, Apr 19, 2006.

1. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    The OLP web site has it listed as having 2 volumes and 1 tone.....I always thought it was the other way around...anyway, I want to replace the pots....should I get 1-500K and 2-250K or the other way around...I was told 500K for volume...

Thanks!!

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Two volumes and one tone is correct, at least in my (passive) OLP. The humbucker is split and one volume controls each half of the pickup. There is a master treble rolloff.

If I remember correctly, all three pots are 500k. I may be wrong about that.

3. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    This is from a tech from OLP..

The Volume is 500K and the Tone is 250K

4. I've got an MM3 which is unusual as it had one volume and two tones............yes - I'm sure...........there is only one grey wire coming off the pickup. With one tone rolled off it sounds like a P with no top, and with the other rolled off it sounds like a J neck pickup with no top. With both tones full on it has a powerfull biting tone.

FWIW it's a completely awesome bass, elm natural body, loads of sustain and no deadspots. The B string is good and the neck is comfortable even for my little hands.

I've been in touch with the UK distributors and they have confirmed that the bass should have a volume for each coil. They can't explain why it has 2 tones, though this isn't the first time I've heard of this. Anyone shed some light?

Col

Col