1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP Bass worth it? or get a Sterling By Musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badboy1984, May 9, 2010.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I'm always GASing for a Musicman Bass but it seems I will not have the money to buy it because I need the money for something else etc.

I got enough to buy a OLP bass brand new for £199 ($290-300) but I could save up abit more for Sterling by Musicman bass. The OLP is passive but is potential upgrade if needed.

Any idea guys?

2. Sterlings are absolutely solid, OLP's...not so much. But then again, OLP's are way cheaper. I'd recommend saving up.

3. sterling.

4. Try them out. The Sterling by Musicman will be better, but how much better will be variable, and how much it matters to you is also variable.

5. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I have both right now. OLP 5 string and sbmm ray34. I love them both, but would recommend waiting an getting the sbmm. The OLP gas the look of a musicman, but that's it. I love the sound of mine, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't sound like a stingray. The ray34 on the other hand feels and sounds very similar, so if you're after a musicman for cheaper, get the sbmm

6. From what I've heard and seen, OLP's have a somewhat inconsitant quality.

Why not look at one of the Musicman clones (this will probably get some heat, but we're in the UK, they are pretty common). There are usually a good few on ebay, and I'd be willing to bet they are just as good quality-wise as the OLP. That would also leave you with some spare money to stick another pickup in there and maybe a preamp too.

How much are the Sterling basses over here? I think they would be quite a big step up quality-wise from the OLP and clones, so probably worth while saving for. But, depending on how much they cost, you might be aswell looking at used EB-MM basses.

*EDIT*

Had a quick look. So the "Sterling By Musicman" basses are in the £600 to £700ish price range? You can get an Ernieball Musicman, used, for that price.

7. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I've not seen one in the shop yet. I live in Manchester so a few music shop is available but none stock Sterling By Musicman. But i may ask them to see what they will say. I love to try one before buy but at the moment i can only see the online shop stock the Sterling bass.

In term of price they are going for £550-650 depend on number of string and model.

Musicman bass cost around £1200 - 1500 in the shop.

8. I know how much the musicmans are, I've got two :p

But, you can get them in the £700 region, used, on ebay.

Another option is to look at the Musicman SUB basses (again, used as they have been discontinued for a while).

9. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I always love the Musicman Sub bass but those are really hard to find these days.

I was really stupid at one point, i saw a Musicman Sub in Cash Gen before which they selling it for £200 but it was realy dirty. I should bought it at that time and clean it up myself.

Look like i will scout around in ebay now.

10. Theres a few on ebay right now for £400-odd :)

£200 would have been a steal, don't worry tho. All of us have at least one story of a missed jem !

11. well, obviously if your looking for music man tone, than you should probably go with either the sub or the sbmm. OLP's sound nothing like a music man if you didn't get it already

12. FWIW, I bought a Stagg MM copy. I got a really good deal on it because the PG was warped. I replaced that and dropped in a Seymour Duncan replacement pup. I left the passive electronics in it and also installed an optical theremin, Not a bad bass for about $250 investment.

13. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I think you guys help me made up my mind already.

I think I will go get the Sterling By Musicman Ray35 if none in stock i will settle with the Ray34.

Currently own 3 basses at the moment. Fender Classic 60 jazz, Warwick Corvette 4 std and Peavey Grind 6 string.

Out ofthe 3 bass, the Fender and Peavey is my main axe and i only use the warwick sometimes to make myself feel better for owning the bass.

I think i will sell the warwick and get the Ray34 or 35 instead. So i will get a good jazz sound on my fender, nice stingray sound on the sterling and 6 string if needed on the peavey.

14. I'd just like to point out again, if you are in that ball park money-wise, it might be worth while looking at the used market of Ernieball musicmans.

15. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    you got a point on that, depend how much i get on the warwick first, then see what second hand musicman i can find i nthe market.

16. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I've played the Sterling by musicmans.

IIRC it was like $800 (the 5er stingray) and I'd much rather pay $1100 for an american. I mean it sounded nice and all but didn't have the same vibe or fell to it.

17. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got both EBMM and SBMM basses. My Ray35s are extremely close to my Sterling 5HS in build quality. Consider this like the comparison of a Skyline Lakland to a US Lakland. In fact, the SBMMs are made by Cort in Indonesia, just like the Skylines.

As to cost, I bought both my SBMMs new in the US for under $1100 combined. My Sterling 5HS, as well as the Stingray 4HS and Sterling 4H I used to own were all significantly over $1300 new each.

Also, in the US, it's getting easier to pickup a used SBMM for $450, or possibly less, which all things being equal, is a lot less than a used EBMM which is normally around $800.

The quality is there and new vs new, or used vs used, they are a great value. The electronics are a little different, but still sound very close. Also, I've gotten absolutely wonderful support from Pat Park with SBMM. He's been very responsive and is always well informed about his products. Truly a pleasure to talk to Pat!

I can quite honestly, and without any doubt, say I'd take an SBMM over an OLP any day of the week. I also think they are pretty much even with the SUBs I've played.

Bob

18. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Sterling all the way! Not only is it a far more superior bass but the company behind it is top notch from the ownership down.

19. As many have stated thus far Sterling. And, if you do, go with the SB14, more versatile and less weight. The Ray34 is like strapping on a boat anchor, great tone but weighs a ton.

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I own a Ray34 and a US Ray. Honestly the Ray34 is so close it`s not even funny. I`ll never part with my US Ray for attachment reasons (it was my first 'good' bass), but had I gotten the Ray34 first I never would of considered getting the US. That said, if you don`t like your Warwick then sell it for around $600 hundred, throw in the amount you already have, save a little more, and then buy a used US Ray. You can get them for around $800-900 used.