OLP basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McCalister999, Aug 3, 2005.

1. I've tried the search, but couldn't find a lot of reviews of OLP basses. Are they worth their meager pricetag?
  2. YES!, I have the MM-3 it is awesome.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The ones I have played, NO. They weren't worth $50. They do have their fans though. I'm guessing good ones are fine, and bad ones are bad. I'd suggest playing before buying.
  4. Yea the one i palyed was total crap, so make SURE you play before you pay.
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I tried one a few months ago.

It played well, the action was excellent, but it sounded a little too sterile to me.

Not a bad bass though, and even certainly a pretty good one for the price, but just some lack of "balls". I should have tried it with some kind of good preamp (SABDDI, Aguilar, Sadowsky, EBS Microbass, etc.), pretty sure it would have sounded good that way.

6. weeding

May 17, 2005
    Mine arrives tomorrow, along with a 150w amp. The one I played felt very nice, and for the price they go off!
  7. I was meaning to make a seperate thread out of this, but heck, since this is already here.............

How do the natural models made out of elm compare to the standard basswood models in your opinions. I've yet to find a bass made out of b/w that really does it for me, but I saw one of the MM2's packing elm and the maple top, and the thing looked great, and just felt awesome. And this was at Media Play no less.

Didn't play it (it is Media Play after all) but I'm curious if anyone has any preference or experiences with this body wood?
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I find OLP's to be VERY inconsistent, and that the good ones are available if you actually play them. Many beginners get them when they don't know what they want, they just know what they want it to look like, so they sell with or without the tight QC. Play as many as you can, there's a good chance you'll find a gem, and when you do, don't ever let go, it's going to be a great bass.
  9. Imacf90

Aug 4, 2005
    i have an olp MM2 and its fine for a beginners bass... it doesnt sound really great when you play hard on it on a small amp, it gets distorted and sounds like CRAP!
  10. I played an OLP MM-2 the other day and I have to say I disliked it just as much as the EB Stingray and Bongo hanging next to it :D

Sorry, don't know what it is, but I just don't like the feel or sound of those basses.
  11. Yes I have one and I love it. OLP Music Man copy 5 string.

I bought it used and took my Ken Smith 5 string and SWR WM12 combo amp to the guys place and spent 15 - 20 minutes testing it out and comparing it to the Ken Smith before agreeing it was a great bass. A week later I had it professionally set up with a new set of strings and it has become my main bass with my original alternative rock band (www.shortwavetheband.com).

I went into a professional studio 3 weeks ago with the band and along with the OLP I brought my Ken Smith with the idea that I'd play the OLP on one heavier aggressive tune and the Ken Smith on the rest,.......... I believe that I ended up playing the OLP on 4 of the 6 tunes. OLP (with all controls up full) straight into SWR SM900 (with all controls set at 12o'clock and a slight bass boost set at 2o'clock) and a DI out from that. Sounded great, the band loved it and I believe the words out of the engineers mouth were, "wow, sure doesn't sound like a P bass". :) e-mail me (ben@legg.com) if you'd like to hear some MP3s.

I think it's a great bass and I urge you to check them out. If you find one that's a little off, make sure to think about the same bass after a pro set up and imagine how it would feel and sound. Like a lot of low budget basses, that is were they need a little help.
  12. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Whether an OLP is worth it or not to you depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. If you're trying to get a budget stingray and you're trying to get a stingray sound, don't bother with this bass. If you like the passive pre-EB musicman basses, I think this thing comes relatively close to that sound.

I have an OLP mm2 and I love it! I didn't really care for the pickup, so I put a Nordstrand in it. Problem solved. Only thing I don't know yet is exactly how I want to wire it.
  13. Imacf90

Aug 4, 2005
    maybe its just because i have a small 80 watt crate amp :) i have tried it on my dads 200 watt ashdown head but i didnt hear much from it, probably because of all of the noice in teh background:)
  14. I admit that I'm not extremely familiar with Music Man basses in general, but isn't the OLP a great budget bass for that stingray sound? I realize it is a passive bass but wouldn't you agree that I could get a fantastic stingray sound/tone with the OLP and the EQ from my SWR SM900? Razor sharp highs and deep deep lows coming out of the 2x10+tweeter and 1x15 cabs. Take a post EQ DI out of the back of the amp and send that stingray tone direct to the front of house mixer.

On another note, is the Nordstrand pickup active or passive and with or without EQ? What were you missing with the stock OLP pick up and what did you gain?

Like I mentioned before I'm not extremely familiar with the Stringray sound so experimenting for me might make me realize what else is out there.

15. Imacf90

Aug 4, 2005
    olp (officially licenced product) asked the company for permission to make lower models of it, but with the same stuff. so it basically is the same thing but its made in a differant place and some other things have been downgraded. they used to do spectors, umm now they do thos occ ones too.
  16. Imacf90

Aug 4, 2005
    most punk rock bands use stingrays because there great and the sound. stingrays are supposed to pack a nasty punch and really nice trebbly tone. :bassist:
  17. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Hey Benner -- I'll preface my remarks by saying that different people do indeed hear different things. By my ear, the musicman SUB basses I've played are much closer to the Stingray than the OLP is. It's probably an EQ thing (stingray has a 2 or 3 band and OLP is passive). Can you get close to Stingray tone with your setup and some EQ work? I'd be willing to bet you probably could.

I chucked the original pickup because it didn't have much bottom, it had kind of a woody/hollowish kind of sound, and it was kind of noisy when you split the coils. The bottom in the Nordstrand is definitely there, and I think the upper register sounds a little better too. The other reason I got it is because you can configure the wiring for series/parallel or single coil settings which you can't do with the stock pickup. Haven't had a chance to really mess around with that just yet though.
  18. Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Didn't like the OLP's I tried.
    I 'tested' the MM 4 and 5 strings, and the Spector-copy. Honestly, they are cheap. But not good in comparison with other 'copied' basses I played.
    I'm not saying; "don't buy one, because their MM sucks compared to the real MM"... The real MM is imho overpriced! It's a bit sick to compare the OLPs with their originals. Just look at the pricetags.....Compare them to other basses in their price range and make up your mind like that.

edit: There's also the option to buy the OLP and upgrade it, like *insert his name here* did. Then you probably get a good bass for a low cost.
  19. Wayner, thanks for the info/input. You've got me thinking about Nordstrand pickups now. Geez, thanks :)

Which Nordstrand MM pickup model did you get (4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.2, 5.3)? And is it active?

20. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Since the stock OLP pickup is essentially two single coil pickups in one housing, you should have no trouble wiring it into a series/split/parallel switch. In fact, if you get a "Tele Mod 4-way switch" you can even wire it neck-coil/series/bridge-coil/parallel. The only tricky part is figuring out which leads go to which pole on the switch, but with patience and some banana clips, this can be done.
    Steve aka SMG